or Connect

Posts by JDaddy

I bought an organic twin mattress last fall (my wife and daughter kicked me out of the queen we had been sharing ) and I'm afraid to say it wasn't an entirely satisfactory experience. The main problem was that I wasn't able to test the mattress out before purchasing it. We lived too far from anyone selling organic mattresses, so I bought one online from Savvy Rest (formerly North Star Beds). Once I slept on the mattress, I realized it wasn't right for me. I was used to an...
I asked this same question over on the dad's forum (link) and no one has answered that thread either so it looks likely that no one at MDC has read the book. Maybe I should go check it out and report back.
I grew up in Wisconsin where we had to wear long underwear a lot and I (and everybody in my family) always wore underwear underneath them, for all that's worth. I used to wear cotton long johns growing up but now I prefer the thin synthetic kind and with those I definitely think you should wear briefs beneath them.
Has anyone read the book Alternadad by Neal Pollack? (Someone else on MDC also asked the question over here, but hadn't gotten any responses when I last checked.) I'm just curious to know in what way the author sees himself as "alternative." The cover of the book shows a rubber duckie with a nose ring, so that might suggest some kind of punk sensibility, but then again it could just be some art director's clever idea with no relation to the book's content. Also, what...
Kinda late to the party, but this was crossposted in the Dads forum, and I just wanted to share my thoughts. I can understand the reservations people have about the potential for abuse, but I think that needs to be balanced with the potential good that could come from hiring a teenage boy as a sitter. I particularly liked what snuggly mama had to say on the topic: Quote: Originally Posted by snuggly mama Don't we want to raise our boys to be nurterers?...
Quote: Originally Posted by KimProbable My DH and I were talking recently and he stated that he's happy we've got a set up that works for us (a queen and a single pushed together) We've got the same setup, but I sleep in the single and my wife and daughter sleep in the queen. We tried all three of us sleeping in a queen but that didn't work out so well (not enough room). When we travel, we request a king-size bed, and that works out well, so...
Around the house, I wear our 10-month-old daughter a lot, especially when she's cranky or sick. I also carry her in my arms, but that gets tiring pretty fast, and it keeps one of your arms tied up. I use both the Ergo carrier and a sling. The sling is especially useful for getting our daughter to fall asleep, but if she's really sleepy, she'll fall asleep sitting up in the Ergo too. She just rests her head against my sternum and zonks out....
Yeah, I'm a SAHD! I was a student for quite a long time but when our daughter was born in March I decided to just focus on taking care of her and doing household stuff. It works out pretty well since my wife works from home (for the time being, at least) and so I don't feel so lonely. I can see how it would be pretty hard for SAHDs whose wives/partners work away from home. I get together once a week with a mother with two children who lives in our apartment complex but...
Thanks for all the feedback! We actually do have a big bouncy ball, so maybe I'll give that a try. And I'm sure working out couldn't hurt either (unless I pull a muscle -- I'm not a very athletic type ). In answer to Valian, we're using an Over-the-Shoulder Baby Holder sling; I can see how a wrap would be better since it doesn't put all the weight on one shoulder.
Thanks for the suggestions! Rocking is a good idea. Unfortunately, we don't have a rocking chair or a glider, so I'll just have to try doing it manually. As for taking her out in the stroller, that would be a good option if it weren't for the fact that our daughter tends to become extremely alert whenever we take her outside for walks. She really loves studying the world around her (she's a super-curious baby and seems to gets a bit bored in our apartment). But maybe if...