or Connect

Posts by oldgirl,newtricks

Go ahead and get paternity established now. Say he dies 10 years down the road. Your dd will be entitled to Social Security benefits. If he has an estate, she would be entitled to some of it. As the others have said, it may not be much support right now but he won't always be 22 with no job. It will be much easier to go after him later if you have that paperwork now. I didn't get paternity established until my ds was 15 months old. He's now 23. I only got $158...
I would just quit buying them. If they aren't in the house, she can't badger you for them. With your own snacks in Tupperware or something, she'll make the change with you. She'll gripe, but it will be over soon enough.
My mom got her GED at age 78. Your mom can change her situation if she truly desires to do something. After my mom got her GED, she was employed by the State of Kansas for several years. When I was younger, times were a bit hard and my parents opened up a boarding home. They are typically called assisted living homes now. You mom could do something like that--laws vary by state, but skilled training is not usually needed. Because my folks grew up poor, I was...
Our district does full day. It was explained as a way for kids to get more educational time for kids with more drop-out risk (read--lower income.) So, guess which schools got it first? Right. Higher income with more moms working. I felt like it was initially public paid babysitting. I still had to pay for daycare while other moms didn't. It was long for my kids initially. So, I went and got them around 1:00 for the first few weeks. Then they adjusted and it went...
I'm currently the President of our PTA and I'm trying to get everyone to clearly articulate what the money goes towards. We do only one big push and that has to pay for all of the stuff like teacher grants for field trips, books for the reading teacher, etc. That said, I personally write a 100% deductible check. Most people don't realize that the amount you pay for signing up for the PTA doesn't stay with your local unit. Most goes for state and national dues. ...
Here's what I did with all four of my kids. At that age, I told them they were too old for diapers and they needed to use the toilet like everyone else. I picked a weekend I would be able to stay home. I put the child in sweatpants and told them to use the toilet. (I used those chushy seats which went in the regular toilet and a small step stool for them to climb up.) I made no issue of it and if they had an accident, we cleaned up and put on clean sweats. By the...
We have our kids in Scouts. My DH is an Eagle and it was very important to him. The gay issue has been going on for over 20 years before the Supreme Court decision. Change will have to come from within the organization. Just like every person of a belief system doesn't feel the same about everything, there are many differences within Scout groups. When the local Council group comes around pitching for $$, we tell them NO, we will only give $$ directly to our own...
I know most people think their kids don't cause problems when looking at the toys alone, but I frequent Value Village and lots of kids open the toy packages. I've even seen kids tell their parents they didn't touch anything, when I stood there and watched them do it. If I say anything to the parents, most have been pretty rude and stated their child didn't do it. I believe parents should keep their children with them. I don't have a problem with funny signs about...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sharlla $10 a month wouldn't even cover 1/2 an overage charge. What's the point of paying $10 when it doesn't do anything? It does do something. It shows you take your debt seriously. Many firms will write off the interest. They just want to be paid. If you don't pick up the phone and talk to the person who is sending the bill, you'll never know. Many times the interest charge is there to give the firm some...
Collection agencies do not "buy" the account for a small amount. They get paid a % of what is collected. We have a CPA firm. Deadbeats get sent to collections and the agency gets 30% of what's collected. We don't have any fancy paperwork for people to sign, but the engagement letter is pretty clear that payment is due when you receive the bill. In our younger years it always amazed me the people who would show up at tax time wanting their work done when they hadn't...