or Connect

Posts by Deborah

My mother had five of us back in the 1940s and 1950s. No vaccines because my family has been anti-vaccine for generations. She failed at breastfeeding with number 1 and number 2. They are in their 60s and reasonably healthy. She nursed me for 3 months. I turned 60 this year and plan to keep working as a librarian until I turn 70. The two youngest were breastfed for 11 months and 7 months (this was prolonged nursing back then). They have had the worst health problems of the...
heathergirl, I wasn't just talking about nutrition magically preventing serious illness. I was specifically addressing the claim that children who get terribly ill from measles or influenza were "perfectly healthy" before they got sick. There isn't any evidence that this is true because there is no definition of "healthy" and there is no attempt to ascertain that the children in question actually were healthy. So we don't know if really healthy children can get disastrous...
Quote: Originally Posted by heathergirl67 But it's not just polio. It's every disease. The point is that you have to look at each illness and figure out what happened. How were cases ascertained/counted before the vaccine? Was there a change? Is the illness easy to diagnose? There was something about measles in the U.K. recently...they started requiring actual tests to make sure that it was all measles and it turned out doctors were wrong a...
I've never heard that it sheds via the stool. I think that might be rotavirus or the live polio vaccine. I think chickenpox sheds via nasal and oral secretions. If the child gets a bit of CP from the vaccine (as in gets a little sick) it seems more likely there would be shedding. But I'm sort of guessing.
No, it is okay to get it from an elderly person with shingles. Same virus. Due to lack of circulating chickenpox we are all more likely to end up with shingles, vaccinated or unvaccinated.
Well congratulations! You are a very good mama.
Seemingly healthy and healthy are not equivalent. For example, there is a lot of loose ground between leukemia and perfect health. But in one study in the U.K. of children who had a hard time with measles, the only children who were put into the "less than perfectly healthy" category were the kids with some sort of active disease condition. The investigators didn't check for Vitamin A levels, they didn't look to see if the children had any other health problems, they just...
One problem is that with the advent of vaccines, studies on how children deal with illness and why some children get sicker than other children have sort of disappeared. For example, when it comes to polio, the vast majority of the population was able to experience polio with no symptoms or exceedingly mild symptoms. There was a lot of discussion on possible causes for the variation but I think it largely ended once there was a vaccine. Some of the stuff I've come...
My mother raised 5 healthy children without any vaccinations. She had trouble with breastfeeding the first three and then managed okay with the last two: eleven months and seven months (this was prolonged nursing for the 1950s). We are all still alive in our 50s and 60s and fairly healthy. I'm sorry you had such a hard time trying to nurse. That is a lot that the two of you went through. I'd do the best formula you can find, give the baby lots of love and attention and...
http://www.medalerts.org/vaersdb/index.php this is where I usually start searching.