or Connect

Posts by Deborah

Vaccination News usually has both mainstream and non-mainstream news about vaccination, autism, outbreaks of illness.
I think I understand the analogy. What it highlights is the irrational and emotional piece around disease and vaccination. The usual narrative runs like this: Horrible disease sweeps through population leaving devastation behind. Everyone is helpless to do anything except suffer and die or watch their loved ones suffer and die. Finally, a brilliant doctor creates a vaccine and defeats this disease. The vaccine may occasionally cause a bad reaction and injure someone, but...
I second the family practice doctors. My grandchildren both see a family practioner and have since they were infants (now 10 and 7). Once or twice someone in the practice has raised the vaccine stuff, but it has never gotten uncomfortable.
If nothing else, this thread has generated some really creative vaccine critical arguments
What do you have to lose? Except the cost of asking the attorney to write the letter.
Check the laws in Massachusetts. If the exemptions are religious and medical only, getting parents to have a couple of vaccines basically will destroy their hope of claiming a religious exemption, which is usually all or nothing. Unless, of course, the parent claims a sudden conversion. I'm not sure about the religious discrimination question being moot. Exemptions are for school attendance, true, but a parent with a religious reason against vaccination shouldn't be...
Glad to hear that you are feeling better and it does sound as though you both have "it".
YesandNo, Well, boosters would be great, if the vaccine stopped or even slowed carriage or transmission. But the evidence for this is feeble at best. IMO the main thing the vaccine does is reduce the visible symptoms, which could actually result in more spread as people wouldn't know that they were sick with pertussis.
Qalliope, You may not be a philosopher, but that was a very well worked out argument, thank you! I like the way you presented the natural disaster argument, too, but I'm not sure it really fits the vaccine situation. The assumption there is that the children who get damaged by vaccines are equivalent to the people in the hospital the day the volcano erupts. However, it is quite possible that the majority of children who are vulnerable to vaccine damage would be fine...
Wanted to add that there are several things you can do to make measles easier. 1) make sure the kid moves his/her bowels. I wouldn't normally recommend laxatives, but this is one exception where milk of magnesia or a good herbal laxative is a good idea. 2) no fever reducers. Fever is the child's body fighting the illness and you don't want to hand the guns to the other side. 3) rest and quiet. 4) Vitamin A and Vitamin D.