or Connect

Posts by springmama

The "Joe's O's" from Trader Joe's are a staple in our house.
Well I was under the impression that NFP was ok no matter the reasons and that only contraception i.e condoms, withdrawal, the pill etc were an issue. I'm having a hard time understanding this. I understand where the Church is coming from for the most part on this issue, but what if you really just have no desire to have any more children, then shouldn't you be able to avoid with NFP? You would at least be practicing self control to abstain during fertile times and...
Thanks for the resources. I did read through a lot of what you gave me to look at in the other thread. I especially loved "Theology of the body" I do disagree with what this person is telling me and I feel that I was told this in a "here's how it is now drop it" sort of way. This person chose to use bc after having a few children and feels it is a matter of hush-hush conscience. As far as my situation goes my dh isn't Catholic and I can't stop him form pulling out,...
I'm in the process of converting and in RCIA was told that using bc is a matter of conscience. Even though the church states that you are only allowed to use NFP, if you don't want any more children for good reasons then you can consciously decide to use bc and take that on your own conscience to explain to God. No need to confess it because it is on your conscience. Is this really true or is this a matter of personal opinion? I was also kind of told that it is...
Well I was kind of given the ok to use it if that was my choice and told that I would not need to confess it. But I was taken aback when I later read that it is a mortal sin. The person told me that Catholics fall all over on the spectrum of the issue of b/c - those who never use any, those who use only NFP and those who use b/c consciously. I am willing to use NFP and be open to the possibility of having more babies that are not really "planned for". At this time my...
I am thinking about converting and I have received some info from the local parish. Some info that I was told about birth control seemed to conflict with some of the things that I have read. I didn't really feel comfortable pushing the issue with the person that I was talking with and even though I agreed with the answer that I got I'm still not sure it makes sense. They told me that the issue of whether or not to use b/c is a matter of conscience. So if you feel that...
Well I was feeling so great about things. I inquired about the RCIA and decided that I would start going to Mass on Sundays and maybe one day during the week. Well dh found out about my inquiry to the Catholic Church and we had an argument about it. I just can't understand why he wants to ruin this for me. I am in tears because I was so happy and now he just rained all over it for me. Am I supposed to stop following my faith because my dh doesn't like it. Is it ok...
Thanks so much for all of the replies. To answer a couple of questions that were asked. My dh was raised agnostic and still is staunchly agnostic. He says that he is non convertible to any form of organized religion. I asked him if he would be willing to have our marriage blessed in the Church (a conversion story i read said that it is a quick ceremony done with the priest and a couple of witnesses) dh was NOT happy about that and said that he wouldn't even be a part of a...
I've been doing a lot of research and finding a lot of answers. I have learned some great things about the Church and I look forward to learning more. I do have two really big questions. 1. If I were to convert would my marriage be valid? My dh would not be converting with me (although it's a long-shot, I hope he would someday) Would I be able to fully convert and receive the Eucharist? This is very confusing to me and I'm having trouble finding the answer. 2. We...
I do have some Catholic friends who are being supportive of my inquiry. I have so much respect for the Catholic faith and looking in from the outside it seems like something I want to be a part of. But then I have these beliefs that I don't think will fit with the faith and they are things that I don't really feel I can or want to change about myself. Plus no offense but I have heard a lot of really bad things about the Church from anti-Catholic people (like my protestant...