or Connect

Posts by Pema's Father

Dear Mother Community,   I was a very active poster and reader about ten to eleven years ago. Our dd is now almost 11 and in 5th grade at a Waldorf School here in Seattle. She is one of the healthiest children I know - bright, intelligent, outgoing, athletic, emotionally balanced (with a bit of spice and fire at times). She has fluency in Chinese and English (speaking, writing, and reading), and is also studying Japanese and Spanish, playing violin.   Background - we...
thanks!
Hi, I'm a Waldorf parent of a 1st grader in Seattle. Birthday parties seem to the hottest thing on the first grade social circuit these days and we want to plan something for our soon to be seven year old daughter and her classmates. We are planning something outdoors. There is one gorgeous park not far from the school - really the best city park in Seattle, with lots of trees and grassy fields and a kid's play area. I'm torn between just letting the kids make up their...
Hi, Hope this is the right subforum? My wife decided to wean our daughter starting around her 3rd birthday. I honored her decision and now would like to help her find information on how to alleviate the painful breast engorgement she is experiencing. I think she is at about 48+ hours without nursing. P.S. Pema, our daughter, is mostly doing fine with this. Of course there is some protesting and whining and in an ideal world, I would have liked to see CLW (and...
One place you might inquire is at Camelia House in Lafayette. 337-593-9796. There is a naturopath and a great acupuncturist there.
Thanks for all the people who have contributed to this thread. Seems Pema has gotten the message because suddenly she likes to be part of the toothbrush ritual. It's a bit hard to keep up with as she isn't confined to 3 "meals" a day, but likes to frequently snack (she's a very high energy, active little gal). But she brushes at least every evening, if not more. Jordan
When did you start putting toothpaste on the brush?
Hi, It's been a few years since I read the books about Attachment Parenting, The Continuum Concept, Magical Child, Ethnopediatrics, etc. Pema, our dd is now 26 months and still BF. If I remember the gist of most of these books it is that the longer a child BF's generally their physical and emotional health has more opportunity to develop to its fullest, and is more in line with what nature intended - or at least, historical precedent before the modern era of formula...
Hi, Pema is almost 26 months now (I wonder when we stop counting the months and just say 2 or 2 and a half?). Re: her teeth. They look great. Pema in general is very healthy. Still breastfeeding with mom, most/many of her teeth are in (to be honest, I've never even looked in her mouth, but she must be chewing those veggies with something). We don't give her candy or junkfood. Very little juice. Other than breast milk, she eats mostly veggies, tofu, grains, dried...
At the risk of injecting political overtones to this thread, I've been thinking about my responsibility as a human since the election. It occured to me that we modern humans in general harbor a fantasy-wish about some perfect benevolent leader solving all our problems for us - and being greatly disappointed by whomever gets elected. Re: my girl's noise. It would be easy to blow off the people downstairs. Afterall, they aren't that friendly towards us despite our efforts...