or Connect

Posts by kmeyrick

I do like this post, but I would also add   -Does she miss school life in general, such as being surrounded by her peers, and daily school living. -A feeling that school is gives her a structure she prefers -A preference for school methods in a classroom setting over a homeschooling one   Unschooling is not designed to be something parents cling to- it's meant to be liberating for the child. If, after a significant amount of time has been devoted to unschooling, and...
    A year and a half sounds like plenty of time to decide whether she likes unschooling. What, should the op insist her daughter stick it out for no less than ten years? Come on. This girl is deciding for herself that she would prefer school. It defeats the purpose of unschooling if her wishes are not respected. The core of the philosophy of unschooling is to be learner-led. Maybe- just maybe- this kid can find her own interests and passions within school. Plenty do,...
  Seriously? I'd have more sympathy if the child in question were 5 years old, but at 13, I think it's disrespectful to her autonomy to try to talk her out of school. She's old enough to know what educational methods work best for her and to voice her opinion. She has done so already. Unschooling is supposed to be learner-led and be respectful of the learner's wishes, right? How can it be authentic unschooling if it is being used against the learner's wishes? I don't...
If unschooling is about respecting a child's autonomy, then I think your kid should go back to school. She seems to feel that would be best. I don't believe in homeschooling if the child is clearly unhappy and would rather be in school.
Quote: Originally Posted by MusicianDad I hate, hate, hate the idea of uniforms in schools. I mean really, are they so strapped for something to do that they have the time to police what my child wears? And this is one of my reasons, it's not every school, most who have uniforms have a strict dress code at least for the teachers, but schools that have a strict dress code or uniform for the students and the teachers can wear what ever the heck they want...
Quote: Originally Posted by Llyra I am, however, highly in support of a reasonable dress code for teachers that requires professional dress-- keeping in mind, of course, that some teachers cannot wear suits and heels and the like. A primary-grade teacher, for example, may spend her entire day getting up and down from the floor, and needs to dress comfortably. An art teacher risks soiling quality professional clothing with stuff like paint. I can...
Quote: Originally Posted by CarrieMF point taken but I have counterpoints. A) I said the teachers don't do the same stuff OUTSIDE. Unless your upstairs labs are outside it doesn't quite apply though you'd have some pretty cool labs & even cooler stuff to do in them.lol B) yes a kid could accidentally step on the back of flipflops OR the teacher could trip herself down the stairs taking out everyone below with her, however that could happen in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Yulia_R The one I like is: Cut population, NOT foreskins! Wouldn't work for quiverful folk I should imagine. Kind of offensive anyway.
I think that people need to be aware of them and I believe authorities should keep an eye on them in case they get violent. However. They are using these strategies to build publicity and notoriety. Under no circumstances will arguing or debating work. They aren't interested in proving their point or convincing anyone of anything. They are trying to intimidate people and make them uncomfortable. I think it's best to defuse them by responding with stony silence and...
I'm really amazed at the lack of compassion. I guess people who suffer from heart disease and strokes have only themselves to blame as well? Diabetes? I'm chilled to the bone by some of the things stated here. I don't dare guess what some of you think about people who are HIV positive.