or Connect

Posts by kmeyrick

If this had happened in my family, the FIRST thing I would have mentioned as a cause for concern was throwing the lap top. The fact that it was deep in the post after a bunch on innocent things (like a father feeding a baby at night) makes me wonder how true/valid the laptop thing was. The rest of it came across as unkind judgment towards a new mom. Never had PPD? It doesn't sound like you have. I might reserve judgment for a while.
I agree with Lach. I think you need to focus on why homeschooling works for YOU, and respect that ps, whether you like it or not, works for a lot of other people too. I wouldn't assume your six year olds are superior to public schooled six years olds at this point because, um, a lot can happen between now and university. I've seen plenty of kids rise from the bottom to the top out of left field, kwim? Zeldamomma, you can have your private judgments about a stranger's...
Don't leave the kids! Move with them, no matter how overwhelming it seems right now.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jessy1019 I'd tell the truth, including the reason. They'd hear me talking about it anyway, and "they weren't getting along" isn't the reason, so it would be dishonest to say that it was (what kind of kids wouldn't even ask "why?," if you told them their aunt and her husband were getting divorced). If I was concerned about them saying something in front of their cousins, well, I guess before we saw them, I'd make sure my...
I normally don't start these kinds of threads, but right now I'm having some gratitude issues. Last week I had almost had a car accident that surely would have killed me and others. I was driving down the highway. The roads are all cut up and grooved because they are being repaved. The lanes are narrow from being blocked off. A tractor trailer was veering me off the road, and I tried to move out of the way, but the grooves caused my car to swing from side to side. I...
Our schools do. It's a safety feature, really. It's very sad, but often there are violent custody issues, or kids playing hooky after their parents drop them off (in a very dangerous neighborhood) so that we will call. It would save the schools time if the parent remembers to call, but everyone forgets now and then and we just want to be sure the kids are safe.
We are getting smart boards, too. Yes, I have issues with screens BUT I still like them. They don't replace actual writing. However, they do save on paper and transperancies, etc, and are greener for it. They are useful for interactive, fun activities that are more student friendly. I even found a good website for learning how to use guide words in a dictionary. That's such a boring topic, but this website has it in the form of a video game and is actually quite fun. A...
*Donning my flameproof suit* I HATE rewards. I don't like them for behavior or anything else. For some kids, it teaches them to misbehave until they get the promise of a bribe to turn it around. Reading should also be its own reward. When I did guided reading, I tried congratulations for making it through, a sense of pride, having the group clap for when one student tried. Making the book appear beautiful and wonderful. A few students I had really, really were...
In my state you can get your kid out for medical reasons, as well as being in another physical activity, including sports and dance. You may even get gym credit for the extra curricular activity. It bothers me that many excellent teachers are laid off, or fantastic academic programs are cut, when the budget gets too tight. But gym can never be cut, it's the law, dammit! I too, dreaded gym as a kid. I was terrible at sports, always bullied or yelled at for not...