or Connect

Posts by silly_scout

Hey OP, I just wanted to let you know that I literally could've written your post (right down to the birth numbers and everything.) We survived supplementation in the beginning, and DD is now 4 months old and we are going strong EBF. She's not the chunkiest baby in the world, but her head circ and length are always top of the charts. We kinda think she's built like us, too (lanky). No advice; you've already gotten good advice here. Just a little encouragement.
Thanks to everyone who responded! : You made me feel better.
I just feel like DD isn't getting enough sometimes. She's 4 months old, and due to a long story, we EP'ed until 8 weeks, she relatched, and she's eaten straight from the tap ever since. Up until last week, I was giving her a supplemental bottle of formula (4 oz) a day, then I was like, forget it, she doesn't really seem to care about the extra bottle, so I cut it out. Here's my insecurity: DD has always been low on the charts. She started off 8 lbs 8 oz (got down to 7 lbs...
Could you teach him a really simple "quick" game like tic-tac-toe? Here's what I'm thinking: if you teach him a game that you can play with him several times in a row, you can teach him a valuable lesson - throw a couple rounds and let him win, and win yourself a couple rounds. Maybe he'll see that losing isn't the end of the world and that sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. As for hitting the bushes, I think you did the right thing. Maybe next time DS wants to see...
Wait - I see your other children are older - dare I say, old enough to watch the little one while you catch a few winks during the day? Does your little one NEVER take longer naps during the day?
This is way out there, and I have no basis for it whatsoever, but what the heck: Have you considered that your son has a sleeping pattern disorder? Maybe you could do a sleep study? Plus, a question: your son's sensory problem... is it a condition, or is it a symptom of another condition? I only ask because maybe the not sleeping and sensory problems are part of a host of symptoms of a diagnosable condition.
I hate Leapfrog, V-Smile, etc etc. I think these things "train" children to be video game/computer addicts. That being said, I absolutely LOVED my Speak and Read and Speak and Spell (remember those?) when I was younger. I don't know (or rather, can't articulate at this time) why I think the Speak and Spell is okay and the V-Smile isn't, but that's how I feel. I guess another issue is the topic of commericialization. It seems like a lot of the Leapfrog and V-Smile stuff is...
Bravo, Meg Murray (BTW, props for the Wrinkle in Time reference, unless your name really is Meg Murray.) OP, I'm really not trying to be snarky here, but what do you deem "appropriate" for 14 year olds? When I was 14, I could handle all the themes in Angela's Ashes and The Bell Jar. In fact, if a teacher had read those with me, I probably would've been enthralled (not in a morbid way). Kids can handle a lot more than we give them credit for. They know the world isn't...
I can't tolerate many food dyes - they make me headachey. When I was little I'd get hives. I am sooo anti-dye. DD will never eat a drop. My DMIL is a food scientist and a nutritionist - she could tell you stuff about food dyes that would curl your hair.
There are several shades of "normal" for teenagers. It is "normal" to be an overachiever, it's "normal" to be into drinking and pot (though maybe not acceptable), and it's "normal" to be sloth-like. I know you want the best for your daughter, but I think you need to accept who she is right now (though I think you should still have the expectations that she will do her chores and obligations.) As long as she is not suffering from depression (and you may want to look into...