or Connect

Posts by birthgreeter

:
I do not know much about your type of canner, so can not answer that part, but for the beans, no matter which type of canner you have, if you cold /raw pack, they may loose some water, float- still fill the jars with beans -but do not over pack. Basic rules of canning: *always remove air bubbles before tightening the lids down, with a wooden or rubber spatula (never metal). *always clean off the top of the jars before you put the lids and bands on. One...
don't know if the this is the spot or not to do this, but wanted to say hello to all! I am new to this area of mothering, but not new to MDC.- also not new to gardening! thought I would just intro my self- since new to this area...... I try to get on here as much as I can, but sometimes have had weeks go by and never get time to be on computer! I am a mother of 5 (6-) grown children -4 married, and 2 with children themselves, youngest daughter still unmarried,...
yes, that is right about the amount of liquid in the jars,. prob happened from cold packing even though you added boiling water. I do that too, and usually loose some water from the jars. always make sure that the jars inside the caner are covered with water. about 1/2 to 1 inch of water covering them before beginning the canning process. I am canning cucs today, and green beans, before I have any births coming up!!! It is so different for me this year. It is...
: we let ours go and start new plants with them. most plants are in their best production for about 3 years anyway, so new plants are needed!
Depending on how may plants you have, you can allow some to continue to 'make seeds', the others, cut back and dig up, then replant them. That shock to the plant sometimes allows them to regrow very well, -by first putting more effort into the roots, then growing lettuce leaves again, more towards the fall time. I plant my lettuce in a shady area, and that helps too, or replant it under your cucs, melons, zucchini or other big bushy plant so it receives shade. My...
yes, that can happen. The process of allowing the time where the air escapes the can and the jars (before you put on the pressure regulator-if you have that kind of caner) is when this can happen. can be caused from the food being packed too tight in the jars. Make sure that the water in the caner covers the jars completely, and you remove any air bubbles in the jars before beginning. also if you pack the food 'cold' and not heat up the foods, that can cause it too. I...
In the free standing birth centers I have worked in (3) -and helped from their beginnings, yes, you are right. A free standing birth center is no different than a home birth. I tell everyone all you are doing is paying someone else to deliver in their bed or tub. save your money! Stay home!
we do. every day. We gather in the morning and in the evening, so any eggs laid during the day are not gathered until about 7 pm in the evening.
we had trouble with a neighbors dog, always into our animals, into our yard, causing trouble. (did not have live stock then, just 5 little children who were threatened by the dog) dog 'police' would do nothing about it. We moved about 13 miles away, and within the year, guess who moved in right across the road. Had a new dog, but same problem. We did everything we could with (now we are farming) our livestock, chickens, cows, goats, sheep, -horse all of our...