or Connect

Posts by Turkish Kate

I gotta agree with Marilyn. Nursing is not as "recession proof" as people seem to think. Lots of new grads are saddled with a ton of student loan debt (it's not a cheap program) and discover they can't get a job after graduation. FWIW, I considered Nutrition when I did my pre-reqs and came very close to switching, but nursing is truly my passion. And yes, sadly, it's very allopathic and not much geared towards curative nutrition. Someday, hopefully.
Hi, RainbowMoon. I'm an RN, worked my way through nursing school over ten years ago as a CNA and home health aide. I've done a little bit of everything, from long-term care to home care, to acute care hospital, to travel nursing. Here's some thoughts: 1. It is not required to be a CNA to be a nurse, but it is very helpful (some schools give "bonus points" for admission if you've been a CNA). IMHO, the best nurses have been aides before and understand the scope of...
Yes, it needs to be addressed. Yes, you're dreaming that it will be. And yes, you need to stop watching Oprah!
American, married to Turkish man, lived in Istanbul for three years and dreaming of the day when we can go back.
Got a question for you practicing nurses: What's the employment environment where you live? I ask this because nursing is supposed to be one of those "recession proof" careers, yet it seems that in NE Florida few hospitals are hiring experienced nurses, let alone new grads. I know nurses that graduated last year who are still trying to find a job in hospital. I have almost 20 years of experience in healthcare, half of it as an RN, have my BSN (rare around here it seems),...
That's a lot of pre-reqs to try to bat out in one year. I'd say that it depends on how strong your science and math skills are. Mine aren't the best, and I found A&P and Chem to be really tough when I took them in my early 20s. I think I'd fail if I had to take them now at close to 40. If it were me, I'd start with what I think are the easy ones, just to get my feet wet--psych and nutrition--one or both over summer session, if possible. Then do A&P 1 with stats for...
Hey there. I was teaching in an LPN program, yeah took a pay cut and the hours were much worse. Don't think that teaching and office hours are all that you put in--you'll be taking work home with you, planning clinical assignments at 5am, grading papers at dinner, all sorts of fun stuff. At least I did and so did every other nursing instructor I knew of. I would guess that I put in around 60 hours per week and it really took a toll on my family. I loved clinical...
I've never had so much as an askance glance in Jax, even while nurisng my squirmy 2-year-old. But I've never had any out-of-ordinary positiveness, either. It's nice to see it happening here! If I ever get over in that direction, I'll make sure to stop in at Lee's. Thanks for the heads up!
The family dynamic isn't going to change until MIL dies. She is our biggest stressor and it doesn't seem like that's going to happen for quite a while. In the meantime, I was offered a position, doing what I want to do, where I want to do it, for the hours that I want, and at the pay rate I was asking for. How kewl is that? Now, off to find a maid.
I'm knee-deep in job searching and came across this one in KSA, if anyone is interested: link