or Connect

Posts by Meg Murry.

Quote: Originally Posted by dogmom327 I'm making kombucha for the first time and I think I may have blown it. I got a mother from a friend today. I brewed some tea, added a cup of sugar and then added the mother. But then I realized that I hadn't let it cool all the way (chalk it up to mommy brain) and I pulled it out. It was in there about a minute. I took the temperature of the water at that point and it was about 105. So not super hot but...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaLisa1 yeah, it seems like we can talk to him about it until we are blue in the face. I've pointed out every aspect of it that we can think of! I had a talk with him last night and asked him some questions which he answered correctly, but I am not sure if he was just answering them that way because he knew that's what I wanted to hear. He did end up participating in their little movie/sleepover thing because he did start...
Quote: Originally Posted by MamaLisa1 and I don't know what to do about it. We give him every chance to try and have a nice sibling relationship and he wants nothing to do with her. Tonight, things seemed like they were going well, so we suggested getting the sleeping bags and getting out a movie and having popcorn...a fun sleepover. Even our teen girls are doing it, but Jacob wanted nothing to do with it because Emma was doing it. If we try to have...
Quote: Originally Posted by chrissy i'm sorry, but i have a very hard time believing this. you're saying that your kids school had a black history celebration which the white children were not allowed to participate in? really? Wow. Way to promote feelings of unity as a nation of people.
Quote: Originally Posted by AuntNi Wow, Meg, thanks for your post. This is very interesting. I'm 37, and do not remember being allowed to just spell stuff however I wanted in kindergarten. When DD started Kindergarten, I was really interested to see the creative spelling. DD's a perfectionist (one of the lovely traits she picked up from me,) and really wants to spell things correctly. So when she's having me help her write and mispells something, I...
Quote: Originally Posted by monkeybars Kid writing isn't taught to children, as in the teacher giving them incorrectly spelled words to copy. Rather children are encouraged to write (and to write often and about all kinds of things) how they think the word should be spelled based on the sounds they have learned so far. English is extremely complicated, with many irregular words and patterns. If a young child, who is just beginning to read and write,...
Quote: Originally Posted by darien There's no official hs'ing group in our area, but there are a bunch of families that seem to be involved in every possible activity available to hs'ers. There's one family that hosts two different clubs my 11 year old ds loves. The engineering-related club had no space for him last year, so we expressed our great interest, and asked to be on the "waiting list" for this year. He did the arts-related club last year,...
Quote: Originally Posted by mangopassion I'm going to purchase Singapore Math (finally!!!) today and I was wondering if I need both the textbook and the workbook or just one of them? Also, would you recommend the Home Instructors Guide? Thanks!! Yes, the workbook is very helpful for emphasizing and reinforcing textbook concepts -- that is, unless your child is a real math whiz and gets a concept the first or second time she sees it and...
Quote: Originally Posted by purple_kangaroo In any case, I think it is extremely rude and inconsiderate of me to subject another person to an uncomfortable situation I'm forcing them to remain in just because I think I have the "right" to do whatever I want wherever I want to do it. Yes indeed. One of the attitudes that has impaired the spread of breastfeeding and the general acceptance of breastfeeding is precisely the holier-than-thou...
Quote: Originally Posted by malibusunny As someone who TEACHES a history class (well, several) on a daily basis, I can say that ALL of those things are taught in history classes. My World history class has a strong geography bent, and we start with "prehistory" before we move to recorded history, which means we deal with a lot of anthropology (one of my minors is in anthropology ). When we explore the idea of culture, we look at individual and family...