or Connect

Posts by jnet24

Quote: Originally Posted by Lollybrat Didn't the school district do a full eval when he was being qualified for the inclusion preschool? Does he have an IEP? When DS was in special ed preschool we had to do the ASQ every year too. The teacher wasn't supposed to do anything with it except record the scores and send them to the state. The state uses the scores for statistical purposes. In our district the ASQ is not intended to be a tool for the teacher....
So my son's preschool teacher sent home a ASQ the social-emotional version. He is in an included classroom bc of phonological delays. I worked really hard on answering the questions accurately. I have been concerned about his social skills, especially with peers. I even took the free questionaire on university of Oregon's web page because I figured I would get those results sooner. Anyways, I returned the questionare to my ds teacher today and mentioned that some of...
I found the link for you. My sons ST gave him it and it really does help. He also chews not just puts things in his mouth. He loves it. He really likes it when we are at church or at a place where he has to kinda sit still. It really helps. Here is the link to chewy tubes... http://www.chewytubes.com/ My son has the red T one. here is a site where you can buy one http://www.affordabletherapysolution...ytube-red.aspx
I know this is a older thread but just wanted to give you my BTDT, and still doing advice. My 3 year old is still like that. I found giving him the oral input he is seeking before we start an activity really decreases the mouthing. His ST suggested chewy foods, like fruit leathers, salty foods, spicy foods, we have a chewy tube and that really helps with the chewing and mouthing of toys. We give it too him during down times during the activity and throughout the day. So...
First of, Welcome to MDC. The most helpful advice I have learned here is that as parents it is our job to guide our children through life trying to instill in them confidence and self esteem, not to punish or control their lives. I do not "force" anything on my child unless it is a true safety issue. It is important to respect the child, whether they are 2 or 14, and allow them to have free choice over their own bodies. I was shocked reading your post. I couldn't...
Maybe you could make a story up about how to get a green card or a red card, and what it means. Make a little book up and read it too him often. I put my DS stories in a small notebook with hand drawn pictures. Kinda like Conner goes to school. At the end of the day Conner gets a card. When Conner plays nice with his friends(or whatever behavior it might be) he gets a green card. When Conner sits quietly at snack, he gets a green card. Mommy likes it when Conner...
Quote: Originally Posted by VisionaryMom I don't view what they're doing as "bad" or "lack of discipline." If my child is over-stimulated somewhere, I will go out for a walk with him. Neither of my children ever sat in high chairs for long. I don't feel the need to make them sit quietly in a restaurant. They've always participated in conversation as much as possible. While I'll take books & crayons & things, they may or may not use them. If it bothers...
I just wanted to say that I don't think the OP is being smug at all about the child's behavior, and I have a very high needs, over excited, energetic 3 year old and a SIL whose kids are the most well behaved kids I have ever seen. So really if she was being high and mighty about it I would be offended. She even pointed out that she agrees temperment makes a huge difference. I think she was just trying to set up the back story a bit. So to answer the OP question. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy We have this one, bought it in store at Target. I love it, use it every single day for K. We mainly just use the ocean waves sound, but there are others on there. It runs during his naps, and all night long ( or as long as he is in his crib). We have this one and I LOVE IT!!! It has helped our DS sleep so much more soundly. We have a super small house and it blocks out even the obnoxious slamming of...
Just wanted to give you