or Connect

Posts by InstinctiveMama

Quote: Originally Posted by laohaire - Or, taking the "substandard" and "dangerous" connotations out of the above idea, just plain thinking that X number of homebirths are transfers anyway, so overall would be more cost? True, I believe the homebirth transfer rate is well under 10%. But how many OB patients in a hospital are transferred to the operating room - more than 30%. OBs have a much worse "transfer rate" than homebirth...
You might want to consider what help you want from your pediatrician. I realized after my son was born that I wanted my ped to help when my son needed medical intervention, i.e. some infections, vaccinations, etc. I found my pediatrician was not very good at helping with sleep issues and I never approached subjects like baby wearing, etc. The more I have learned about complementary/alternative medicine, the more I have spread out our health care to those areas. That has...
I could have written the OPs post! I know I get my "lack of concept of time" from my mom because she is worse than I am. My dad is usually early or right on time. As a kid I really hated that my mom was always late. She was never, ever on time to pick me up from anywhere. It was often embarrassing and usually I ended up sitting somewhere hungry and bored. Anyway, I am trying to end the cycle now. The thing I hate that I do is rush when I know I am late. I hate giving my...
I know L&D departments at hospitals are typically crazy during the full moon. The night before my son was born was a full moon. The hospital was so full the next day they were kicking people out. I believe there is also a lot of Native American tradition around the full moon. I remember hearing the Native American women were so connected to nature that tribes would mensturate together around the moon cycles. I hope my little one decides to come out during the full moon!
How does a fourth grade teacher know about a boy's itchy penis? I can see one of my mom's first-graders blurting that out but not a 9 or 10 year old. I'm not implying there was any wrongdoing but it seems like a strange comment for the classroom.
I switched from an OB practice to CNMs at a birth center at 36 weeks with my first pregnancy. I could have easily chosen another OB practice though. My big worry was the insurance company and it turns out they don't care who they send the money to. I say do it! You deserve to have the pregnancy and birth you desire and if this group of OBs cannot offer that, then there is a group who can.
A woman needs to give birth where she feels safe whether it be home, hospital or birth center. Kudos to every mama who follows her heart and plans her birth for where she feels safest. I think lots of us that are planning out-of-hospital births can relate to how you are feeling though. Often the "mainstream" discussion boards leave little room for mamas who are interested in natural birth, homebirth, unassisted birth, etc. MDC is one of the few places, online or IRL,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Wild Flowers My midwife kinda just told me that I NEED to have someone here for at least 24 hours after the birth. This is only going to be a problem if my dh is gone. Which we won't actually know until I go into labor...So there is really no way for me to prepare for someone to be here. And there is the whole thing that all of my friends have kids, and really, who has the ability to come over to someones house for a whole day...
Savings bonds often take more than five years to mature. Is there a maturation date on the savings bond? If not, you should be able to go to a federal government website and search for the type of bond to find a maturation date. As for cashing it in, bonds do earn interest. Basically they need to reach the maturation date to be worth their stated value. After that they earn interest on the stated value. I have cashed in bonds that were around 20 years old that were...
Maybe his system is just getting rid of a lot of junk. Between the recent infection and elimination diet he might just have a lot going on. Are you taking the probiotics or is your son? My son (3.5 yo) has bad breath every once in a while (most often after eating with his dad who's dietary choices are very poor). I recently started my son on his own probiotic every other day to see if that won't help his gut clear out the junk.