or Connect

Posts by Sharon, RN

Hey everyone-   I don't have pics on my computer to post yet, but I just wanted to tell everyone that my daughter arrived on 6/25/2012.   I woke up to some regular contractions at 4am.  I made it to the hospital around 6am.  After a very intense labor, Elise was born at 7:28am after a few minutes of pushing.  (A 3 1/2 hour labor is a record for me!)   She was 9 lbs (!) and just over 20 inches long.  I was worried about birthing at that hospital (I'd had my 2...
I had an IUD for a few years between #1 and #2, and unless DH wants a vasectomy, I'll be getting another one.  
Nursing is so painful now.  My dh has been handling bedtime to try to avoid having our 2 YO nurse.  I know that sounds horrible, but it just makes me feel so uncomfortable.  (And I nursed DS#1 until the age of 3!)  When he does nurse, it's usually only for a few minutes on each side.  He seems ok with it, and I'm ready since I feel like it's time to gear up for nursing the new baby.  I won't mind having my body (well, at least my breasts) back to myself for a few months.
I just had my anatomy scan at 18 weeks and they actually asked me to use the bathroom before the scan.  Early in the pregnancy, I had an NT scan, and I needed to have some urine in my bladder.   I would ask them to explain why you need a full bladder.  I don't think that's the standard anymore for anatomy scans.  
My older son is 12, and has understood the basics of sex since he was young, and I always answered his questions in terms he could understand based on his age.  He understands that men have sperm, women have eggs, sex is how they meet.  He understand masturbation, and now that he's deep in the throes of puberty, we've discussed appropriate ways to ensure "sanitary" conditions for that (as in, please don't let me find your stuff hidden in the laundry basket.  Just do a...
Tenk, I am so, so sorry about the loss of your son.  We will be thinking of your and precious Oliver.  
I don't remember DS#1's weight at 2 (because, that was a long time ago!), but DS#2 is 2 years, 4 months and just made it to 25 lbs.  He was stuck at 22 lbs for a long time- like months.  My niece is 20 months old, and 19 lbs.  Both babies were full-term.  My BIL and SIL are tiny people, but I am not- I'm short, but NOT skinny at all, so I don't know why DS#2 is so little, although my husband is on the smaller side.  The range of normal is all over the place.  Just...
I wouldn't do private cord blood banking- it's expensive and there is no guarantees- that is, they could damage the cord blood, go out of business, etc, and you are out your $.  I do not believe that there are many regulations governing the banks.     With DS#2, I was going to donate his cord blood since he is mixed-race (half white/half asian) but I gave birth the Sunday night before Labor Day, and they told me that no one was around to collect the blood.  I guess I...
Thanks for the info, Cristeen.  After the hearing test, we will look into other assessments and interventions.  Luckily, our insurance covers 100% of the audiological exam- I know, because I have to have several done a year!  His appointment is on the the 9th, so we are keeping our fingers crossed for some news.