or Connect

Posts by koru

Mamareba, do you dilute the Dr. Bronners? A friend of mine swears that Dr. Bronners ruined her dreads.....they coated them with a waxy build up and wouldn't allow them to get clean and dry. She never used wax so that couldn't have been the culprit & now I'm afraid of the stuff. I've read so much good about the stuff, though, so maybe she didn't dilute enough?    And how about blow drying? Is that necessary? I never blow dry my hair but am nervous my dreads won't dry...
I'm baaaaack! Super newbie, here, anticipating my first wash. As I posted earlier, I used a bit of wax after backcombing my dreads & am regretting that decision so tomorrow I'm looking forward to a hot shower to try & rid my hair of some of the wax....but I'm nervous! My dreads are less than a week old & the last thing I want is for them to fall apart. So let's talk washing.....   My dread kit came with a low residue shampoo that I now know has SLS which makes me...
P.S. I love all the photos! Keep 'em coming....
Chicky2, that's what I'm thinking. Hot shower to get as much wax out as possible. Bleh. I was so torn when I went back to my friend's this morning to have them finished. I told them about my wax dilemma & they reassured me they hadn't used near as much wax as they'd read about or seen on "how to" videos. (None of us had ever done this before!) We all agreed that I minimally wax the last few but never wax again. I washed my hair the day before starting (3 days ago) and I...
Joining the tribe! I've been wanting dreads for years & finally took the plunge. Yeah, some may say I cheated because I had my friends backcomb but hey, that's what I chose. My question is this..I decided to do the backcomb method for many reasons & bought some wax, too. Now that I'm mostly knotted, though, (still 26 more to go up front!), I've been reading awful things about the wax. I've also read not-so-awful things but when you have a head of newly waxed dreads, the...
I just realized this is the 2010 thread. Oops!  
I think you can most definitely eat WAP & be vegetarian! Do you eat dairy? Right now I'm not  but I will probably re-incorporate it in a few months. For my family, we've been drinking raw milk for a couple years & I make raw yogurt & sour cream from it. I also make kombucha, sauerkraut, soak our grains & legumes, use coconut oil & ghee, and only buy farm fresh eggs, etc.  WAP is about eating whole foods so it was very easy for me to eliminate meat & dairy because we...
Chia pudding....definitely trying that tomorrow!
My decision was an overnight one. I had been eating according to the Weston Price tradition.....organic grass-fed meat, raw dairy, fermented foods, etc. One night, however, after contemplating some vague abdominal pain, I decided I'd go vegan if I ever found out I had a terminal illness. (Big jump in thinking but it was very late!). The next morning I decided, "if I'd do this do cure my body, why not do it to prevent?" So...here I am, 3 weeks later.    Not very...