or Connect

Posts by EdnaMarie

Okay.   Is this really the first place that any of you have ever heard it suggested that happiness is not related to material comfort provided to ease one or another specific difficulty faced?   I really don't get how this is such a revolutionary idea.  I'm flabbergasted, actually.  The vast majority of adults I know consider their education and specific childhood experiences to be only somewhat related to their happiness as adults, with the exception of those who were...
It depends on the illness.   With a fever, no, because it will raise the fever.  Plus one is almost certainly contagious when the fever is there.  She can sit by an open window.   Rashes, sores, vomiting, diarrhea and the like should be kept away from other kids no matter what.  You never know who has an immune-compromised relative such as a newborn sibling.   But I think playing outside, light play, in the sun if it's not bitterly cold or disgustingly hot,...
I love my cognitive behavioral therapy workbook, "Thoughts and Feelings," and my favorite mantra is from a Gaiam tee-shirt (so sue me): Fear less, love more, let go.   "Let go" is a big one for me.   I think "one with the cosmos" is going to be coming up here soon.  I used to be a huge perfectionist but after having kids, it's all gone to pot.
I just wanted to give this two likes, LOL!  I completely agree.  (Though FWIW... I don't think we need to eliminate the word "horrible" from the vocabularies of four-year-olds, though she should be accurate: his printing is horrible.  What I would ask, if I asked anything, would be that she consider whether charged statements are 100% accurate, because if you're going to let it all out, you need to be careful that what you're saying is TRUE.)    
  If it were me, I'd probably do what mamadelbosque suggested, and go there, let her play around with me in the room (go early) and then ask her, "Do you want to stay here or go home?"   If she says, "Stay here," then tell her, "I need to go to a class but I'll be back soon.  Okay?"  If she says okay, then it probably really is okay.  If she freaks out, then it's probably separation anxiety and not a transition thing, and you could either stay longer and try again,...
    Oh, no, I didn't think so!  Most people I know home-school because there is something they want to teach that they feel they cannot do with their kids in public school, or that they want the education they themselves did not get.  It's a more pragmatic decision, I guess?  I dunno.  It's like they see something in home-schooling that really works and clicks for a certain kind of kid or group of kids.   To be fair, I have my doubts about people pulling kids out because...
    I think I meant "education" here in a more narrow sense, the sense loraxc was using it, as in schooling or un-schooling or whatever.  I completely agree that raising a child, of whatever abilities, is going to have a massive effect on the child's happiness, and in the broader sense of education, that is what we are doing.   I was referring to "gifted education" per se, which is a much more intellectual pursuit, i.e. almost what the OP's dad was solely focused on (as a...
deBut personhood is not a question of function.  Personhood is a concept that is hard to hammer out, but most people would agree that it is self-consciousness.  The "I" so to speak.  If you can think, "I", you're a person.  Or something to that effect.  So I do not think that saying "one God but three Persons, which is to say, functions" is helpful.  Personhood does not have to do with function.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person#Philosophy  (Though this is philosophy...
Stephanie--the COL in King County is high.  Pierce, Skagit, Lewis, etc. are not NEARLY that expensive.  So much cheaper, in fact, that if you sell your house in Seattle you can buy like, three in Tacoma.  LOL!
I really hope I did not come across as attacking the decision to home-school.  I had hoped to home-school my kids as well.  Still might home-school DD2.  We'll see how that goes.  I simply think home-schooling out of fear alone, or if that's the main motivation, is not a good idea, because again, there are OTHER options.  If they don't want you to get involved (which is a very, very bad sign about the schools from the start, I think we can all agree) then for the child...