or Connect

Posts by bandgeek

I totally use bleach when nothing else works!  I figure it's better than wasting gallons and gallons and gallons of water doing extra-extra rinses and stripping sessions. My DD has some seriously weird funk issues though, maybe the seizure meds?  I don't know. Ugh.
I tried spanking. I swore I'd never be a spanker, but then nothing worked and I got desperate.  Turns out spanking doesn't work either and there's a chance my son is ASD and is just NOT a typical kiddo.  Epic fail there. But at least I'm a rehabilitated spanker.  That's not to say I don't occasionally pop him on the arm when he grabs hold of me and digs his fingernails in, but that's just a defense mechanism...kid can really do some damage!   I just ate wendy's and 3...
I have pictures from when I was about that age dressed in very obviously "boy" clothes and I turned out fine.  I did ask my mom one time why she put me in boy outfits and she said she just put me in what she thought was cute.  Good answer, I think!  I WAS cute in them!   I dress my DD in boy clothes a lot, because they fit her body type better (long and lanky and the girl's clothes are cut short and show too much IMO).  I also keep her hair short for practical...
I buy things in bulk, which brings the cost down.  This time of year I can get 5 lbs of organic carrots for $5.  I buy apples by the bag too.  I also like to juice celery and even though it is more expensive than carrots, it produces more juice.  I easily go through 5 lbs of carrots, 3 lbs of apples, and 2 lbs of celery a week, which runs me about $15, but overall, the rest of my diet is pretty inexpensive, so I don't mind.   I also pick through the produce drawer...
My son was referred to the autism clinic at the children's hospital. He's 7 years old and most of the discussions I see here seem to be about much younger children in regards to getting the initial diagnosis.  I'm hoping someone could give me an idea of what to expect.  Like what kinds of testing they will be doing and who all he'll see?  If he's on the spectrum, it would be on the much higher functioning end.  We were originally referred to psychiatry to discuss anxiety...
Thanks everyone. It looks like the school 10 miles away is going to be our best option. So that's about 20 minutes each way at most, so not too bad. I might be able to have his dad or grandma drive him a day or two a week too. Since it will be just him and me in the car it might be some good one-on-one time as well. Now I just have to come to terms with not homeschooling next year. *sigh*
That sounds a lot like my 7 year old, although he doesn't do so much of the sentence restarting.  He'll start words over and over until they finally come out.  Sometimes he can't get the word out so he'll start the sentence over completely and then the word will finally come out right.  Sometimes he just chooses a different word.  I had a speech therapist take a listen to him and she said it's definitely not a typical stutter, and he'll likely outgrow it.  The older he...
DD is 4 and disabled.  She has in-home nursing.  I would schedule them to work any time I needed to be gone.  They generally work 12 hour days which would cover pick up and drop off, plus the time I'm in school.  The school I'll be attending is literally within walking distance from the house.  Roads can be bad, but they do generally call off school for really bad weather.    One of the ones I'm considering is almost 11 miles away, and google maps says about 18...
We're homeschooling now but I'm considering school for next year.  DS will be in 2nd grade.  The school district here is awful.  I always swore I'd never send him here.  I had friends when I was a teen that went to school here and they confirmed it's as bad as everyone says.  The graduation rate is awful and they are cutting their budget left and right.  My friends with kids here currently are looking at their options to get them out as well.  If you have any sort of SN...
My 7 year old really likes the rocket math app.  It's only 99 cents I think.   We use a lot of hands on stuff, like unit blocks and an abacus.