or Connect

Posts by Snugglebunnymama

Just wondering - any crunchy mamas in/around/near Clermont? Would love to find some friends IN Clermont but hey, I'll settle for Orlando if needed. 
Comment #2: I shared on Facebook! :) 
Why homeschool? Because LIFE is learning.      You're always learning and, especially if you take a "life is learning" approach and are constantly on the lookout for learning opportunities, you'd be surprised just HOW MUCH is out there.    Take Disney, for instance. Now, when most people think of Disney they think of vacation, playing, fun, magical moments, pin trading, and Dole Whips. Of course, Disney is every one of those things!    It also offers a...
  Completely agreeing here. Unschooling isn't about just turning out illiterate kids who can't add to save their lives.    It's about letting kids live their lives and learn freely. It's about not *forcing* our children to learn things that we as adults know are unnecessary. It's about refusing to drill useless facts into our kids' minds all in the name of "keeping them on grade level."    We all understand and appreciate the need to be able to 1) read proficiently 2)...
When mine tried public school, they were allowed (with enough pressure it felt required lol) to keep water bottles and snacks at their desk. There was a "designated snack time," but if a child was absolutely famished before snack time, they were allowed to eat it at their desk (teachers just asked that they have something quiet for those times, like maybe some grapes or apple slices instead of some loud bag of crunching potato chips). When I first heard about it, I...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn And, just to be clear, OP - I sympathize with some of your thoughts but I really find it off-putting that you seem to be treating public school like something that exists for your convenience. While I'm not really one for just accepting every single rule without asking or talking about it, I tend to take your posts as that you would not be enrolling your child in good faith. I personally would not enroll my child...
I don't post in this forum, but DBassett, I had been following your story and was wondering how that all turned out? Just curious...
Oh, I TOTALLY know how you feel. I experience the same things!!
I second the volunteering. I'm not sure I'd have enrolled mine in school if there were no volunteer opportunities. I don't consider you to be a "helicopter-mom" (if you are, then I'm probably the pilot...) I think it's great you want to be involved. Another way is to email the teacher weekly and ask what they are doing that week, be very involved in homework, etc.
Quote: Originally Posted by umami_mommy are there any small water playgrounds... (splash pads they call them here)? we love going to them here, are there any there? There's a great one in Dr Phillips. $1 per kid, per session (sessions are like 5 hours long.) http://www.orangecountyfl.net/dept/c....asp?ParkID=66