or Connect

Posts by sevenkids

Quote: Originally Posted by kimiij How do you tell the difference? What if she didn't relay to you that something might have gone wrong? Once you get there and realize that things had gotten hairy, would you then call 911? Like I said, the women I have provided prenatal care for were women I had a very close relationship with previously. There was a level of trust built over several years, and the clear understanding that I was not emergency...
Ok, to clarify as well, since my knee-jerk reaction was "good god, no!". I would not automatically refuse them care based on having a previous UC. I do want to know why they want care this time around. I have taken care of women who chose to UC for a previous birth(s) and wanted a midwife for subsequent births. So far, none of them have told me that they felt something was not right, just that they felt like they wanted support and to have someone there. Basically,...
Good god, no.
Some of the reasons my clients choose birth center over home birth are, for one, definately cultural. We're used to packing a bag and going somewhere to have a baby. The idea of staying at home is strange and foreign to a lot of people. Packing a suitcase with baby clothes and birth needs has become almost a preperation ritual for pregnant families, like putting together the bassinet, painting the baby's room, gathering the layette, the baby shower. It helps a family feel...
I do the complete exam before I leave the family. It's usually the last thing I do before leaving. I listen to heart and lungs while baby is in arms and nursing, and usually wait until baby is finished and mother has a plate of food to do the exam on the bed beside her. I know everyone is different, but the fact that I'm not going to see this baby for at least another 24 hours is a good reason to do a complete exam before I leave.
Quote: Originally Posted by MsBlack sevenkids-- I would never send anyone for a u/s weight estimation....in one case, the mom checked into ER for another issue at 35wks and was given the u/s. In the other, I did suggest the u/s to investigate/rule out other things (which were indeed ruled out), totally forgetting that they would automatically do a weight estimation (u/s is not used much by families I serve). I won't be forgetting that...
I think the real danger is relying ONLY on U/S for weight estimates, or placing too much emphasis on weight estimates. MOST ladies who transfer care to me after seeing an OB tell me the Drs never palpated or even measured fundal height and performed U/S's at every visit. And most tell me that the declarations of "This baby is going to be very large! We can try for a vaginal birth, but you'll probably need a cesarean!" start from about 26 weeks! Then it totally follows a...
Maybe it's the tech I'm sending my clients to, but they've been pretty much spot on lately, within a few ounces either way. But I have certainly seen some really, REALLY off weight estimates over the years!
or maybe I just don't remember much of those 3 years because I NEVER SLEPT!
3 years is not long at all. My apprenticeship was three years, and I attended almost 200 births between 4 preceptors, and I STILL felt like it was too short.