or Connect

Posts by sevenkids

Quote: But there are some babies who develop bleeding disorders who did not have a "rough start", and while there are some risk factors for "deficiency bleeding" they can't all be predicted. Oh, believe me, I know! I've had two babies in my practice suffer brain bleeds and seizures, and both babies were sweet butter births. I am definately a lot more conservative about administering Vit K than I was, and always tell moms the risks, while low, are real...
Normally, breastmilk being naturally low in Vit K is not an issue. By the 8th day of life, the gut of a breastfed baby is producing enough vit K to meet the baby's needs. If the baby has had a rough start with risks for hemorrhages, then no, breastmilk does not have sufficient Vit K to prevent bleeding disorders and I will strongly recommend Vit K.
get a basket you can keep stocked with supplies; diapers, wipes, a change of baby clothes and receivers, burp cloths, and snacks, water bottles, and boxed juice. Keep the basket near you when you are recovering to keep from having to get up and go fetch stuff. I found that while nursing, I would get so suddenly and intensly thirsty and/or hungry, I would practically cry if there was nothing close by.
There aren't any "tell-tale signs" of abuse, there are signs that may be indicative of a Hx of abuse. Panic attacks during exams, clenching legs tightly together, covering the face with her hands or arms, trying to escape, kicking and flailing, sometimes, "zoning out" and becoming totally unresponsive to the practicioner or "over-confidence", like stripping completely naked unabashedly and jumping into the stirrups. I do not force a woman to talk about her Hx if...
Quote: Honestly, I've been on transfers to the hospital for arrest of dilation secondary to acynclitic babies and the mamas sometimes arrive at the hospital complete and ready to push. Because that seems to happen, sometimes I want to send moms on a 30 minute car ride and see what happens. I've done it, sent them driving over railroad tracks or bumpy dirt roads. It works! I'm not crazy about the idea of trying to turn the baby's head by hand....
I will interview a client as soon as she wants, but I do an initial "official prenatal visit" with labs, around 12 weeks. I don't do any labs before then. I'll take clients late into care, if they have had prior care, sometimes as late as 40 weeks. Here in FL, a woman who has had no prior care is considered "high risk" if she's beyond 22 weeks as a primip and beyond 28 weeks if a multip. I can still take her, but she would have to see an OB to determine risk factors.
Quote: Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife I know very little about them. Is she still taking students to Jamaica? As of January 1 NARM will no longer be accepting out-of-country births for the PEP. No, no one can take students to Jamaica right now because of issues between certain people who were taking students and the hospitals/midwives and the Ministry of Health.
Aetna typically, in my experience, not only pays for Florida midwives/birth centers, but pays us very, very well.
It will depend on your hospital. Here, a woman who transported with an unknown status or a positive screen without antibiotics would definately be coerced into prophylactic antibiotics and testing/monitoring/antibiotics for her baby. And the hospitals can get very, very nasty about it. Also, the midwife could be facing some pretty serious consequences if the doctor or hospital decided to report her to the state for not following protocol/standard of care.
Quote: Defense attorneys Colleen M. Glenn and Chris Rigoli did not call witnesses but argued the law governing midwifery is so vague as to be unconstitutional. Hm, Florida law is very clear about who may practice midwifery. If they had won their appeal based on that argument, it could have been a devastating blow to midwifery in Florida.