or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

ETA: Oops, I meant to quote GuildJenn's post about the Montessori forum and how sometimes disrespectful threads about Montessori schools and students are posted there.   That happens in the unschooling forum too. Sometimes people complain about other unschoolers they know IRL, or unschooling advocates/boards/blogs, etc. People post about problems they're having and worries they have. Sometimes there are snarky comments made (or threads started) by people who have no...
    Huh, and they seemed so knowledgable and supportive... I am sure they came to this forum to learn.   For the 16 year-old I guess what I'd try to do is find an appropriate math class so she's not in over her head. Maybe someone at the school can get an idea of what she knows and what kind of aptitude for math she has and find a good fit.   I agree with Kathy about letting go of the fear of school if your kids are going to go. I am sure it's hard to do but they are...
My son loves looking for more lego figures, sets and accessories to buy--he is more into warriors, knights, vikings, etc, but he has had a few Star Wars sets too. Currently he enjoys going on toywiz .com and editing his cart and looking at what he'd like to have and telling me about them. I used to do the same thing when I was a kid, only with catalogs. Saving up while dreaming of what you'd like to have is a pleasure in itself. It doesn't mean you will grow up to...
I love homeschooling my "enfant unique" (I think that sounds nicer than only child! lol). We went on a homeschooling fieldtrip the other day and three of us just had the one. We tend to think of homeschoolers as big families, but there are plenty of only children who are homeschooled. While he may not have a sibling relationship to negotiate, there are lots of advantages to homeschooling an only. I think the social issue has more to do with a child's personality and...
My guess is that people will think the school thing is stranger than the breastfeeding. I never got any comments while nursing my son--my MIL just was indirectly a little weird about it, which I ignored--but people started asking about school when he was 15 months old!! He's 9 years old and I rarely get comments now, presumably because it's too late for the poor kid, he didn't get into the French system when he should have--plus we moved to Switzerland and apparently the...
Oops. Reading your post again I see you did not say you homeschool. I guess I just assumed you did as this is the homeschooling forum and I do know French homeschoolers so it wouldn't strike me as odd at all. I also know French public school teachers who have chosen private schools. Interesting... Before I had my son I taught English in French schools which pretty well convinced me I would not be sending any kids of mine there (I was already similarly convinced about US...
Hi Gabrielle, How do you like home schooling in the south of France? We lived in les Bouches-du-Rhône for 8 years but moved away to another part of France when DS was 3 so we didn't have much experience homeschooling there. Have you ever used EAD? Are you on the abcd13 list? Enjoy the sunny south while you still can!  
 There really are. That's why they are my two main reasons--it keeps it short. I could spend an hour posting my reasons/perks of homeschooling and they would all fit under freedom and/or flexibility, especially our long trips to the U.S., but lots of little things too.When my son was three and everyone expected him to enter school (this was in France and that's when kids start) I made pro and con lists for both school and homeschooling. I think I could only think of one...
Freedom and flexibility are the biggest reasons. We can go visit my family in the U.S. and stay many weeks. We don't have bedtime battles or hectic mornings. We have lots of time to relax at home as well as go do things. I went to school and so did everyone I know, but homeschooling feels much more natural to me and school seems sort of foreign. Our lives would be drastically different if my son went to school and I can't really imagine it. My husband seemed OK with...
 Same here and the giant killed Jack's father. I may have bought a rougher version but my DS didn't seem too bothered. Maybe because the giant smells the blood of an Englishman and not American or French?We've definitely read some classics even if they weren't our main focus. I agree with a PP that they don't need to be enjoyed at a certain age or in a certain way (for example, some stories I just told my son). I remember being 11 or 12 and coming across a book of Aesop's...