or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

The final third of this week's free podcast focuses on the democratic rule-making and discipline at a free school in Brooklyn. I thought it was very well done. The whole show is really worth listening to though. It's available through Sunday 23rd January on thisamericanlife.org and on iTunes.
Yeah the quality of the lessons isn't always that great. DS took a rollerskating class last summer and hated it almost immediately. I think he was off the rink within the first ten minutes. We went to the small practice rink and he could do his own thing while still seeing what they were doing in the lesson if he wanted to. By the end of the 5 weeks he was skating a lot better than all of the others in the class. Part of it, I think, was that he was the only one on...
I haven't tried this but have heard some good things about it: Elementary Greek I'm thinking of getting the alphabet book on amazon, I think it's a good place to start but in our case it's more just playing around with the letters rather than actually trying to learn Greek.
I agree 100% with everything Linda on the Move has said (and with some other pps too). I don't have a 12 year old but I've dealt with explosiveness and there are some similarities such as needing to let a lot go and not escalate things. You work on solutions together instead of giving punishments. I think your duty should be working on your relationship with her first and foremost rather than calling her out everytime she lets off some steam.
I don't have advice but did want to offer my support. I'm infuriated on your and ds1's behalf. I cannot believe they are trying to turn this around on your ds and on you too (I thought the principal made a couple of insulting insinuations there). Your ds does know he can go back to homeschooling at any time right? I know that doesn't solve all your problems but I do think it's empowering for him to know he could stop going whenever he wanted. I went through this in 8th...
No 3 is far too young, period. I question the judgement (and/or honesty) of PPs who have said they'd let her go. I don't agree that a parent should never let the other travel internationally with the child though. DS and I go to the U.S. for long stays with my family. I've known plenty of other moms either married to someone from over here or here as a working expat's spouse who do the same. It would just be crazy to not be able to do this. But this is far different...
I have a certified Zack (Lego maniac, the) and at age 5 he was playing with duplos. We had lots and lots. I bought a cardboard bucket of legos when he was 6 and he started doing kits on his own around age 7.5. I haven't bought plain legos since, he loves kits and getting individual pieces he picks out. Base plates are big around here too. He plays with legos everyday so there's a lot more involved than following the kit instructions, though I heartily agree with PPs that...
Well I can see why you feel conflicted. I guess I wouldn't make a decision just yet, unless your DS1 decides he's done at some point. I wouldn't make him go if he doesn't want to, but wouldn't just pull them out while they're still unsure (unless you see some damage going on and feel that the pros of pulling ds1 before he says he's ready will outweigh the cons). I would also, if you are moving, let your DS1 know that a different school experience elsewhere might be...
I think age has a lot to do with it. I definitely wouldn't fret that she'll be a shopaholic. That can be an awful addiction but there's no reason to suspect that's what she's turning into. It's very normal that money burns a hole in her pocket at this age. While some 7 year-olds might want to save their money to buy a bike months from now, I would guess that most wouldn't. My son, who is 9, is starting to get better at saving money and being more careful about what he...
Have you looked at nheri.org?