or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

Wow, NYC, I'm so excited for you! Somewhat isolated as homeschoolers here is a mild way of putting it. I can see why you want a really active area. I'm sure the regulations won't seem too bad, they've got to be better than here. And there should be lots of NY homeschoolers to help you figure it out (I know of NY radical unschoolers who have complied with the regulations and have had no problems). Congratulations on number 3!!!
As far as shows like Liberty's Kids, my DS just loves the Horrible Histories cartoons. He has the DVD set of around 26 episodes. Some of the titles are: Groovy Greeks, Rotten Romans, Vicious Vikings, Angry Aztecs, Perilous Plague, Rockin Renaissance... He loves Time Warp Trio too. I think he's got about ten episodes on DVD. He also has two French sets (the set on DVD has an English soundtrack too, the other I got from iTunes and is in French only, but the DVDs probably...
My son wasn't ready for that at age 5 and, really, he didn't need it either. It sounds cool but it should still be there when he's ready for it and if it's not there will be other cool things to do. It's funny though because IME some stuff is not drop-off, even now my son is 9. Parents stayed at both his swimming and soccer classes (until it got so cold that the few who still showed up waited in their cars) and when he took a 4-week fencing class last summer in the U.S....
If I understand correctly, you're the at-home parent who would be dealing with the preschool stuff and who would be getting a bit of a break while your DD is there. I don't think your husband needs to be convinced. I'd tell him something like, "I hear your concerns but this place looks wonderful, DD is excited and it's worth trying. We can always reevaluate after a while and I still want to homeschool. Apparently plenty of people who homeschool have taken advantage of...
I can't speak in general terms because I think so much depends on the child. I know if my son was saying he didn't want to go to an activity every week then it's not a good fit. He took swimming and soccer this fall and only the last two swim classes did he express not really feeling like going. He'd been taking the classes since September 2009 and felt he was done. He did go, but he wasn't refusing to go either--I wouldn't have made him go, but I did gently encourage him...
It's also possible he wasn't really doing anything worse than some of the other kids (do people seriously think that a 5 year-old wiggling in his seat and softly singing during a children's Nutcracker performance is misbehavior that warrants disappointment with him??) but he is the troublemaker in her eyes so it's his behavior that always gets called out. It would concern me greatly that he is considered a thorn in her side. ETA: her comment on the bus is a problem too...
Has anyone seen it? What did you and your kids think? We are either going to see it tomorrow or this weekend. My son likes doing "the smolder" as he's seen in the previews.
It's great to see you UnschoolnMa!!
My son played with duplos a lot and for a long time (we had a lot of them though, including two big castle sets). He didn't start really getting into legos until he was 7 and then went right into building the sets himself. I see no reason not to have some legos handy (we did), but wouldn't switch over unless your son clearly has a preference for the legos. At 3.5 legos were too difficult to build with for my son. Anyway, he's 9 now and a lego maniac. He has lots and lots...
I actually think the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary would be a good choice. I bought one years ago when taking an ESL teacher certification course. http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Advanced-Learners-Dictionary-Hornby/dp/019479900X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290279042&sr=8-1