or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

I can't imagine how this wouldn't be true for the vast majority of homeschooled kids. That doesn't mean we never run into any problems. We avoid school and day camp groups at the park, etc, because their behavior is unbelievable. This is the stuff the parents never see and the teachers/camp leaders act as if they are on their break. I think most of those kids are a lot better behaved when they aren't with the group because my son has played with plenty of nice kids who...
I considered it for about a minute, but DS (9) would probably be too tired to really enjoy it at midnight. It will be our first HP movie in the theater so it will be special no matter when we go, which won't be this weekend as it comes out on the 24th here. To all those who are going though, have fun! I would go if I thought it would add to DS's enjoyment.
At that age we were doing a parent-child gym class that had circle time at the end for just a few minutes. It was everyone though, not just the kids so that helped, I think. However, there were times my son didn't want to participate in a particular activity so we'd either go in the lobby and watch or sit on a bench until they were moving on to the next thing. Sometimes I think he just needed a break. This way, he wasn't bothering other kids but also wasn't being made or...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move That's what school is for my kids. That's great! Why the shrug?
Well any time I read Harry Potter (except maybe the last book where I don't think quidditch positions are mentioned) it's: I asked Bobby Dylan I asked the Beatles I asked Timothy Leary but he couldn't help me either... I do like that song though so it's not too bad. Usually annoying songs stuck in my head are theme songs from something DS is watching though. This summer we were in the U.S. and I had "oh-ay-oh this boat's rocking" and "there's 104 days of summer...
Quote: Originally Posted by straighthaircurly I read stuff and think, well, we are doing that too. I have never been a black and white thinker. I think in gray areas because I find that very few things in life stand alone as a concept. Ideas and philosophies tend to mix together to make a combo that works for each person. Whenever there is an article on unschooling posted somewhere, there will always be comments along the lines of: Hey, we...
Quote: Originally Posted by midnightwriter Thank you, all of you, for the feedback and support, you are awesome. I read all the responses carefully, and will be rereading them again. Yes, I was joking about forcing classical education on her. No I know, I replied without rereading the OP as we were about to head out and when we got back I reread your post and edited that part out of mine. I could just imagine you thinking, "hmmm so what gave...
Maybe she needs to deschool from the structured learning? Just give her some time and try not to have expectations of her being happy all the time right now? About the little passports thing, can you confirm if I understand this correctly: she has been begging for you to sign her up for that program and instead you tried to make a homemade/library/thrift store version of it and she's not been happy with that because she wants to do the real program which you still...
Guardians of Ga'hoole, but the last non-kids' movie was Tamara Drewe. Mostly I go to family/kids' movies though--DS is my cinema buddy, we love going. As long as Deathly Hallows doesn't have a legal age of 12 here we should be able to go see it and it will be the first HP in the theater for both of us. If it does have a legal age of 12 (as did HP 4 and 5) then maybe it will still be playing somewhere when go to the U.S. later in the winter.
We've downloaded two issues so far and they were really good (we listened to them in the car). I'm going to download more soon as I still have several issues in the bundle I purchased (I can choose any issue, past or current).