or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

Ok we went to see it yesterday. I did think it was violent in parts, but so are the books. Actually there are a couple of things that happen in the books that I was glad not to have to see in the movie (laughter therapy, for one). My son (9 yrs old) said the movie wasn't bad but the books are better since they do a lot more in the books. I like the relationship between the 4 owls better in the book as there is more bonding between them. I was surprised they combined...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dar Are you trying to actually read the book to the three year old? IME a lot of kids that age aren't up for more than a few words per page, and a bunch of pages get skipped. That's okay. Dr. Seuss is actually a lot of words - how about a book like "No, David" or even a book without any words like "Goodnight, Gorilla", so it's more about looking at the pictures and maybe talking about what you see? Also books where...
I'm definitely going to get The Egypt Game, it looks good and my DS is so into Egyptian mythology (we need to read The Red Pyramid soon too). We are currently reading the fourth book in the Guardians of Ga'hoole series (The Siege), we plan to see the movie this weekend. We just finished listening to The Phantom Tollbooth on CD and are now listening to a Dragon Slayers Academy book. Books on deck include: The Mysterious Benedict Society, book 4 in the Sisters...
We go to Chuck E Cheese a couple of times each time we visit the U.S., but we don't eat there and we go at off-times, sometimes the place is nearly deserted. It's a thousand times better than going when it's busy. I've still seen crazy stuff though, like not only kids, but parents, who think skee ball balls are pitched like baseballs rather than rolled! Oh, and I wouldn't recommend the salad bar...I've seen things... I wouldn't want do an organized party there either,...
Quote: Originally Posted by leurMaman I'm looking into homeschooling as well to allow us to travel between family in Texas and France with more flexibility. Just trying to get in touch with like-minded Mamas while we make the move. You can check out lesenfantsdabord.org for homeschooling info.
Hmmm, I have not interpreted things I've read in the same way. I haven't heard of many unschooled 8 year-olds who really enjoy something like a series of DVDs and then jump into a bunch of other topics based on that. Maybe you are comparing her with a mythical typical unschooled child? I think it sounds like she's doing a lot. I don't see a lot of 8 year-olds with grand interests, doing "big" things. I'm not saying don't help her with anything, or to not share/introduce...
And instead of asking WHY he had on your son's silly band it would have been a lot easier on him to just state that your DS needs it back now in a way that sounded like E was just trying it on or borrowing it for a few. He still gets the message that he's not as slick as he thought but without feeling suspected, which is important, IMO.
Quote: Originally Posted by LynnS6 I think that sending him to his room for 30 minutes and taking away TV/video games for the rest of the night is overkill. Others may disagree with me. I completely agree with you. I also think giving the chocolate to his dad was also overkill, even if she ended up doing that, he didn't need to know. My son did this once, he was coming up on 4 I believe. At that time our deal was that he got one special...
I know I would replace it, but it would still be a learning experience. As others have said, he's learned from it already and can continue to learn from it as it will probably come up in discussion again (and in his thoughts). I would let him know that we don't just give people money even if we really like playing with them. It hasn't diminished my son's generosity, but it did stop him giving kids money, most of which was returned to him by their parent. There's no way...
I came here to read the thread on this movie and I don't see one. It is "now playing" in N America isn't it? Has anyone seen it? What did you think? It comes out here next week and we might go see it on Halloween weekend.