or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

Quote: Originally Posted by mamazee I don't have an opinion about Sponge Bob. Fair enough, but come on, you must have an opinion about Squidward at least.
Quote: Originally Posted by EdnaMarie You know what I think is evil? Hannah Montana. Wow. Talk about materialistic nonsense and sexualization of children. That show is inappropriate for nearly everyone. Hannah trashin' EdnaMarie say what?
Quote: Originally Posted by Evergreen Them's fightin' words! iCarly is awesome. Actually there are things about the show I like. Spencer is an awesome brother and I like Freddie, and Gibby cracks me up, but Sam makes me feel queasy. Plus I think I got iCarlied out this past summer as it seemed the iCarly marathons were far too frequent. I'll take it over Total Drama World Tour marathons any day though! I think people who think Spongebob is...
No, no, no...Spongebob isn't evil, Plankton is! We don't have TV at home but lots of DVDs (and TV other places we spend time) and I tend to like a lot of what DS likes. I will probably never love Tom and Jerry but Spongebob (first introduced to us as spongebob schwammkopf) Animaniacs, scooby doo, studio ghibli, it's all good. Oh except for iCarly. Ugh. Eta: I'm pretty sure Spongebob is supposed to be annoying. It's part of his schtick.
Some kids do this and I totally get what the OP means about escalating the situation. OP, I think both you and your husband should read The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. I also see nothing wrong with making your son something simple to eat after dinner. It's not worth the power struggle to say you can eat what we're having or else get nothing. Mealtimes should be peaceful. Did he really need to be at the table so you could say grace and start eating? Could he not have...
That was so fun to watch. My son was very interested when I told him I was watching something about ADHD. He watched from that part to the end. He's become interested in what ADHD is from Percy Jackson.
I remember that age. Folded laundry is like a freshly raked pile of leaves...same thing with a container full of beads! I wouldn't make one so little be responible for picking up the beads by herself, but setting the timer and making a game of it could work. I probably would have gone with picking up the beads myself and now she would have to wait until I'm finished before I could do whatever she asked me to while I was picking them up (and that age chances are good...
This is very common, especially around that age. My DS used to do it too. I know I had a somewhat dismayed reaction at first and he was like "hey it's just pretend!". After that I didn't worry about it. He knew about the dangers of cigarettes by then anyway. BTW, I knew all about the ways cigarettes damage one's body and how hard quitting is, how the tobacco companies want to get people hooked young, etc. and I still took up smoking as a teenager. I think it had way...
Quote: Originally Posted by Sierra I forgot to mention that sometimes my kids call my MIL "mom" as well. I think that's because they hear my dw call her "mom" and just don't really think about it. That one kinda bugs me, so I just repeat what they said with "Mimi" (that side of the family uses "Mimi" for grandma) inserted appropriately, and hope they'll stop doing it someday. Fortunately , MIL usually corrects them too when they are speaking...
Quote: Originally Posted by waiflywaif I agree with the PP that there is time for tutoring now, and he should receive it. But I think it would have been ideal if someone who is choosing to go to college, a time for choice and exploration of what you really want to do in life, does not have to waste that time (and money) on remedial classes. I just wanted to clarify that I meant tutoring is an option now that could help, that it's not "too...