or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

Quote: Originally Posted by waiflywaif I think the point is, though, that at that time there would have been time for tutoring, switching up approaches, possible diagnosis of a learning disability (if there was one), and all kinds of creative solutions to learning math that there is not time for now. Some extra one-on-one tutoring might be really helpful to get him through the cc courses he's taking now. It might not be creative, but having...
While I don't homeschool for that reason, homeschooling is easier on me than I imagine school would be. I benefit from it in numerous ways as does my son ( for example we can take long trips to the U.S. to see family). If your kids want to be home schooled and it's also the best choice for you then it sounds like a great situation for you all.
Quote: Originally Posted by stik I think there's a fundamental difference between "not excelling at math" and struggling with the remedial math courses that a community college requires that students be able to pass before being admitted to an associates degree program. Community college programs don't require people to excel at math as a pre-requisite. I went to public school K-12. I took Algebra I and Geometry in high school. In college I...
I'm guessing that your 9 y/o would insist he wants to try fencing? If so, maybe you could work out a trial period with the fencing academy. It should be at least several weeks, not just a class or two, so that he'd get a real taste of what it is and could easily decide not to pursue it (of course he might decide that after a class or two, but he might not be touched until he's a few classes in). I would certainly explain that he has special needs and that you being...
Quote: Originally Posted by GuildJenn As an adult it kind of amazes me that a bunch of people who almost never agree on anything all agree to go spend money on candy to watch the kids in the neighbourhood's faces light up. I mean that, to me, is something special. I love this. My son has only spent one Halloween in the U.S., when he was six, and he still talks about it. It really is a very cool thing. We hope to there next year for...
Quote: Originally Posted by simple living mama I have one thing to say about this. Start reading Calvin and Hobbs to him and he'll get it, I promise you. My son has wondered why Calvin can't just learn at home. There is also plenty of commentary on school out there on kids' shows (the ones not aimed at the preschool crowd). On Popular Mechanics for Kids the host's intro to the segment about circus school begins something like, "Almost...
Quote: Originally Posted by DariusMom I always wonder what it is parents are afraid will happen at another kid's house. (seriously . .. no snark ... . ) My son went to a friend's apartment last week and I thought it would be a drop-off situation (the boys are 9 and 10) but I was invited in and asked what I wanted to drink right away, so I stayed. As it turned out, there were two other kids there plus the boy's brother and things were a bit...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2happy I love when her teachers say she is the model child. I ask her why she can be so nice to everyone at school. She says because she is too shy and would be embarassed to act the way she does at home. Sometimes I think she might have a problem and that its not her fault, but when I hear this all the time and see her around strangers Im not so sure. So, doesnt that actually rule out impulse control...
Quote: Originally Posted by SagMom We didn't make any references to whether or not people thought the human body was beautiful-- Just wanted to say I agree there's no need to bring that up. I meant if the OP's son said that (as he had previously) I would make it clear that it had nothing to do with that and not just feel sad and hug him (which could possibly make him think it did have something to do with that). Though I would still hug him and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Stacey B As a side note I am also getting tired of how harsh people are in this sub-forum. For me the concept of unschooling was about accepting what was right for each child, if that is true why doesn't extend to other people as well. We are all going to approach our children's learning journeys differently, because of our children, ourselves, and our community. It seems strange to me that the area that is supposed to be...