or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

Well, the thing is, the people saying "IF my kid ever did that... " don't know what it's like to have a kid who DOES do it so I'm not sure how much they get it. I really recommend the book The Explosive Child by Ross Greene. Name-calling is one type of explosive behavior and the answer is not punishment. That book helped us a lot. I just asked my son what he thinks and he said if you want to have kids who are nice and polite you should never punish. He said you need to...
When I lived in the Marseille area there was a fairly active group. We moved just after DS had turned 3 and "should have" started in petite section, so I never ended up meeting up with this group. Here is the yahoo group link: http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/abcd13/ Here are some other sites directed at English speakers in Provence: http://provence.angloinfo.com/af/245...ociations.html Any news on the potential move?
My son did his first activity without me being nearby/accessible when he was 7.5. Before that he had done a few craft workshops (starting at age 6.5) with me at a nearby table (they were held at a restaurant). He actually only needed me once, when there were over 20 kids participating, usually there were around six or so. In our experience, waiting helped a ton. Being older he had a lot more self-control and wanted to listen and follow directions. Now he's 9 and in 3...
I would take them to buy, if they don't already have, some really comfy shorts and let them know that when someone comes to the house they can just slip those on. It has nothing to do with people not thinking your sons' bodies are beautiful, so I would make it very clear that it's not anything about them, but also that people are not wrong or sad to be more comfortable when your sons have a bit of clothing on.
Quote: Originally Posted by paxye The program that the brothers made is a great program... it is sad that the schools won't pick up on it because it is really focused on the child's way of learning. Not only is it free but they will respond promptly to any e-mails you send them and they will help you if you need it... They also make the logic games Architecto, Meta-Forms, Equilibrio etc... My kids can spends hours playing those games... Wow,...
I think it's a horrible thing to say to a crying child. It's not an expression I would use in any case, to anyone, because it just doesn't seem very nice. I wonder how parents who use it would feel if they were hurt and that's what their child's reaction was. If I get hurt my son asks me if I'm OK and often gives me a hug. I have never been one to "go crazy over every bump" but I think giving comfort when it's wanted is important. My nephew has always been told "it's...
Quote: Originally Posted by paxye I know of a great resource but it is only available in french... You can use an online translator though and that would work... the whole program is free. http://www.defimath.ca/lexique.html it is all about logic and the way that kids learn... I have heard only good things about it... Wow, thanks! I have heard of freres lyon and defimath sounds familiar, but I had no idea it was free. We need some stuff on...
Hi, there are definitely safe areas, even in/near the center and there are absolutely areas I wouldn't live in. We lived for 3 years next to Notre Dame de la Garde and it was a nice area, a ten-minute walk from the Vieux-Port. However, when we moved about twenty minutes from Marseille (by car) I was more than ready! We lived in a great little town on the sea for five years and loved it. We moved when my husband found a job in another area, but have many fond memories of...
Quote: Originally Posted by kittie313 No fair, I haven't gotten ours yet. The adults in this house are big fans of history shows, particularly ones that make us think "gee how inaccurate may that be" and then cause us to go looking to see what really happened lol. I also find watching something and just getting familiar with whatever it is suffices to have a keener interest in it when it comes up again (we have lots of history books). Then...
Maybe try This Is America, Charlie Brown. My son really liked (still does) that one.