or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

That was great, your sister did a nice job and so did you and the other interviewees. Cute haircut too!
Aslyn, lots of kids can't imagine going out and living on their own and say they'll just live with their parents forever. My younger sister told my mom that if she went to college then my mom would have to be her roommate. She happily went off to college at age 18, without her mommy. I hope you aren't worried about what your son said or taking it seriously. Not long ago my son said he wanted to be a woodcutter or a miner since he likes "hard labor". Since then he's...
Quote: Originally Posted by mommy2maya My dd also took the pssas this past spring. I am pretty sure the very first thing she had to do was fill in her name, first and last. And...? I doubt that part of the test is graded, the name spaces are presumably to know who took the test.
Quote: Originally Posted by jeminijad A 9 year old who cannot read basic words is at a disadvantage. Suppose they become separated from their parents in a public place? Can they read the words telephone, police, restroom? Maybe they can recognize these things by other cues, if they've been shown... but maybe not. And he might very well be called upon to write his name, in that situation. 4evermom's son is reading pretty well, I believe. My son...
Quote: Originally Posted by waiflywaif I'm curious if people who don't see this as a problem right now have some age cutoff at which they would consider it a problem. For some in this thread, not doing it at 9 is an issue. For those that don't agree, when does a kid need to know to write his name? Because all those things (mostly staying home, not writing cards, etc) that are pointed to as examples as why he doesn't need to could continue well into the...
Quote: Originally Posted by stik So he can: - get a library card - sign a petition or a birthday card - write notes and letters to friends and family - keep a diary of his private feelings - write a story or a strategy - sign up for community service projects or other activities that interest him - put his name on mailing lists of organizations that do interesting work - participate in online message boards - label his possessions when he does...
How long have you been homeschooling? My son has never gone to school, but this is our third official year. How old are your children? My child is 9. What grades would they be in? He is in 3rd grade. Describe your homeschooling style in 5 words or less: Unschooling with annual home inspections What's your favorite book or piece of curriculum that you have for this year? The "You Wouldn't Want to..." series. What outside activities are your children...
Quote: Originally Posted by Linda on the move I do feel very blessed financially. We have other struggles in life (one of my kids has special needs, we don't have extended family, etc) but money is something that is an issue for so many people and thankful, it is one thing that is easy for us. I'm really grateful to be able to give my children what I feel is best for them for right now. And don't forget, Linda, how much your husband's...
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady I was unschooled a lot as a kid and I'm remembering now that I continued to play (pretending to live outside and be a pioneer, Barbies, polly pockets, etc) until I was 12/13. I remember being really into Barbie & the Rockers when I was in 7th grade and fearful of anyone finding out. I could have sung a verse about my big secret in "Jr. High School Musical"!
My son turned 9 last month aHbnd he plays a lot. Lots of pretend games, especially pretend battles. He's big into history, today he was playing "Hundred Years War", but some of his resources for history are the computer game Age of Empires II and other games and dvds, so it's not like he's all academic about it. He is also really into Greek mythology like your son. He's not reading independently yet, but I read to him everyday. Right now we are reading through all his...