or Connect

Posts by Needle in the Hay

I would like my DS to: read well and enjoy reading have solid basic math skills & a good understanding of basic concepts know a little about a lot of things and a lot about whatever interests him most be familiar with major composers and some of their works--same thing with artists (we are trying to accomplish this by enjoying music and art with him--keeping our occasional museum visits short and attending musical events he is most likely to enjoy at his age,...
Quote: Originally Posted by 4evermom Perhaps you can gently point out to your dh that if there was a problem with the process, you wouldn't have one child who knew the alphabet from being taught by you. Excellent point!
He will get it. Your Dh is just going to have to be a little more patient! I know it's hard right now but as time goes on he will likely become more and more comfortable with homeschooling. I would try not to make this an issue with your DS at all so he doesn't feel pressure about it. I agree with elizawill about trying a couple of DVDs. Some kids (my Ds included) learn really well from them. Some books you could get if you don't have them already: Richard Scarry's...
My DS wakes up dry some mornings, wet others. Sometimes he'll go for a couple of weeks without wetting and then he'll wet a few nights in a row. Occasionally he'll get up to go to the bathroom in the night. We use overnight undies by Mother of Eden. When he was younger I used these with a booster pad but now they seem to be enough on their own. They leak once in a while, but not usually. ETA: Six seems young for sleepovers. Is that the norm in your neighborhood...
Quote: Originally Posted by smalltownmom3 I wish more homeschoolers would see what a great opportunity schooling is for their children. Since many homeschoolers have pulled their DC from school (not us, though) I think they have a pretty good idea what kind of opportunity schooling was for their children.
Quote: Originally Posted by heket Oh, wait, NIH beat me to it! Yeah but you put the link in, making it much easier for people to check it out!
We have the book Snowflake Bentley. I think it was a caldecott winner or honor book. It's a beautiful book and it does mention that he learned at home until age 14 I believe. Thanks for the link to the video, Lillian! I enjoyed it. DS is busy at the moment but I'll play it for him later.
Quote: Originally Posted by Astrogirl Mark me down as another who hates it. Actually, i find it condescending to adults, esp if its thrown in there to keep us from getting bored. Maybe I'm 'special', but I don't need winks and nudges to watch a kids show or movie, I'm quite happy to sit there and just enjoy it. : eta: I do agree about the Muppet show. I watch it now and laugh my ass off. If it were very obvious I agree it could seem...
Quote: Originally Posted by lisalou Depends on the adult humor. To me, movies that need to rely on potty jokes and "adult" humor aren't that good to begin with. But I love the Muppet Show, Bugs Bunny cartoons and old movies that seem wholesome on one level and that have clever innuendo on another level. I definitely mean the clever innuendo, funny word plays, etc. It would not have occurred to me that the potty jokes were thrown in for the...
I do like the jokes that are like winks to adults. I didn't even notice the "hillbilly hell" line when we saw Cars at the cinema. My DS has it on DVD and hasn't repeated that. I don't mind it anyway as I don't consider it to be a "bad" word when used to mean an awful place. That's not the same as "what the hell were you thinking?". I like jokes like the "lit" one. Harmless to kids, amusing to adults. I'll have to rewatch the Muppet Movie but I didn't think all the...