or Connect

Posts by buttercup

Hi Trinity, I used visuals for my ASD children.  Everytime they were loud, I would show them the visual of where they are at and were they should be.  I carried it with us in public too.  They often get distracted and 'forget' their noise level so I constantly remind them.  This website has an example of a visual that I used, but it also has other strategies that were used in a...
I'd speak directly to the principal and get it added to the IEP.  That is ridiculous.  It is as if the teacher has zero knowledge about the IDEA and the IEP process.  If you get the same response from the principal, then send your request and concerns to the superintendent with a copy to the school board and school board attorney.  What you request is not unusual.  As the previous poster stated, these are skills necessary for him to receive his free and appropriate...
  For anyone else who decides to perform research re: gluten, you shouldn't just focus on autism but look at neurological disorders.  I met a woman at a restaurant a few years ago who was interested in why my ASD children were on the gluten-free, casien-free diet.  She shared her story about how she suffered from a neurological condition which almost caused her to be institutionalized.  She went to an allergist for some unrelated health issue who discovered she had celiac...
  The Teachmetotalk.com definitely has some great strategies - especially the modeling which is so important to children on the spectrum.  Another good one is "More than Words," which provides strategies to increase social communication skills.  It is amazing the difference you can make by keeping your child self-regulated and creating engaging activities in your daily environment that help to promote social communication.
My two eldest with ASD had gastrointestinal issues as babies and toddlers.  My 3rd child regressed at 12 months and developed gastrointestinal problems around that time.  My eldest children both had severe eczema which the doctors said it was typical in children of asian decent (I am half asian).  I began looking at dietary interventions relating to my eldest's language delay and behavioral issues and ran across research from a university in Australia that connected...
Hi.  I agree that there appears to be red flags, however it appears she has a lot of sensory issues.  Is she receiving OT?  If not, that would be something I would request from the school district.  You can indicate it is educationally relevant because addressing her sensory issues will increase her ability to being in a general education classroom when she enters kindergarten.  (we know that she will be, but that should always be your argument - always connect the...
Parent Centers are federally funded to provide information and support to families of students with IEPs/ 504 Plans.  You might consider finding the one located in your area.  Depending on the center, they may even be able to attend IEP meetings depending on the issue.  They usually have and encourage  collaborative relationships with the school districts and parents.   http://www.parentcenternetwork.org/national/taservices.html  
Hi.  This thread has some fantastic info.  Thank you to everyone you took the time to share their stories!   I wanted to share a couple links that might be helpful.  The information is related to health issues and autism, however there are many individuals without autism who could benefit from the info: http://www.enzymestuff.com/ (great site and has a lot of info re the role of each enzyme and other topics related to a good healthy...
I am so sorry you are going through this...and he is in 3rd Grade where he gets to take the FCAT.  As the previous poster indicated, you should definitely contact Family Network on Disabilities.  Their website has an FND University that you can register with and it provides information about IEPs and his rights.   From the schools perspective, they are determining if his disability prevents him from obtaining his free and appropriate education as required by IDEA. ...
I am sorry you are going through this, but I must commend you for being so in tuned to your baby.  Whatever happens, she is in the best care.  So many parents do not know what to look for or just wait and see.  Then they loose valuable time to provide intervention.   I do see the concerns from the list of her behaviors.  As the previous poster has mentioned, she definitely needs her hearing checked.  Children can have fluid in their ears for weeks before displaying...