or Connect

Posts by chicaalegre

I work part time but am mostly financially dependent on my husband. We talked about our roles/responsibilities before we got married (this is a second marriage for each of us, we both brought 2 kids with us and are pregnant with a 5th). We agreed that he would be the financial provider and my primary responsibility would be child-rearing, but we share household responsibilities like cleaning and cooking, as it makes sense. I end up doing more of it but he helps whenever he...
I drank RRL/nettles/oatstraw/alfalfa with both my other pregnancies, sometimes with clover too. Def think it helped things, although I've heard some say not to drink RRL in the first trimester. Anyone else heard that?
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth above all others. 
Hello mamas,   This is my third pregnancy. I have two children (6.4 & 4) and two stepchildren (6.5 & 5). So, this baby will be the only one related to everyone in our family :). EDD is 8/4, both my other babes came within a day of their EDD. So, I'm about 6 weeks along. Don't really feel pregnant yet except for tiredness and no period, but several tests confirmed my suspicions.    This was an unplanned pregnancy and not very good timing for me. My husband and I have...
As-salaamu alaikum sisters! My apologies if there is already a thread for 2012, but I only saw one specifically geared toward Ramadan.    I'm not new to MDC, but I converted this past February, so I'm new to the Muslim Mamas area and enjoyed reading the 2011 thread.    I'm really hungry for sisterhood right now, which is probably what's inspiring me to post. I don't have any particular issues to bring up, but I want to introduce myself and just be a part of this...
I've been reading through this thread (though not the entire thing) and am just fascinated by it. I am a Muslim convert, and before I converted to Islam I was practicing/studying earth-based feminist spirituality with a women's community. I really love covering my hair, but not only that--I love the concept of hijab as a whole. And it is not only for women, contrary to what many people think about hijab in Islam. Head covering is only part of it, though in Western...
I'm curious about this idea that being uncircumcised invalidates Salah. I am a convert and my son is almost 3, uncircumcised, and was born before I converted. I am divorced from his father and his father is not a Muslim. If it were just up to me, I might choose to have my son circumcised (although personally it really bothers me, I believe it is a Sunnah and that there is great purpose and symbolism in it). I doubt that it's legal to have him circumcised without his...
That Wikipedia article is a good summary of what we believe about the Bible. 
I don't know if this thread is still being followed, and I haven't read any of the other replies, but as soon as I read your post, Learning_Mum, I thought "Oh, she's a Muslim!"   I believe that you can be a Muslim follower of the Sunnah (or tradition/life) of Jesus, peace be upon him. "Muslim" literally means "One who submits to God" and Islam literally means "Submission/Surrender to God," or, to attempt to live in alignment with God's Will, and so as Muslims we...
"Everything about my femininity glorifies God.  Including my period.  We do not consider women unclean but rather this is just one more season of fasting in our cycle of feasting and fasting.  but seasons of fasting and feasting are a part of our daily worship."   lilyka, I love the way you narrate this. I am a Muslim, and we similarly abstain from certain aspects of ritual worship when we're bleeding (anyone, not only menstruating women). I hear a lot of...