or Connect

Posts by eepster

It's perfectly normal for a 7yo not to be fully retractable yet.  The age that a boy becomes retractable varies greatly.  It is completely normal to not be retractable well into puberty.  Your Dh may have been retractable at a younger are, or possibly he was forcibly retracted in infancy, but your DS has his own time line.  It isn't a race.   Being overly vigorous during cleaning is more likely to cause problems than not cleaning at all.  The intact penis has a...
Did he think that if a boy is circ'd that he could rule out UTI?
The end of the foreskin is a sphincter.  It closes tightly when it feels like it needs to by reflex, such as when a Dr starts messing with it.   Cancel the appointment with the urologist.   I have bronchitis too ATM.  It seems to be going around.  This is probably way over sharing, but...  I have had a coughing fits so severe I peed on myself.  I was just coughing that hard.
The swab isn't for dxing UTIs, it is for dxing skin infections.  Skin infections are visible.  There is no reason the Dr would swab his foreskin.   To dx a UTI they just need a urine sample.  If they want to use a catheter to get the sample, say "no."  They may say it is necessary to get a clean sample, but it isn't, it is just faster and more convenient for them.  It is a painful unnecessary procedure, as well as an opportunity for them to retract.   If you...
In an adult male, it is OK to retract.  The no retracting rule is for children who haven't fully developed yet.
  She asked the question b/c she could tell that there was something about it that felt off.  If it feels off, then it really doesn't belong in the lullaby repertoire.  Looking at the history together when the child is old enough to understand it, doesn't make something a good candidate for a lullaby.  We don't need to know if a song is specifically offensive or it's exact meaning to know that it touches on subjects and stereotypes that very young children aren't ready...
  And at some point the kid will be old enough to discuss those things, but a baby isn't.  One way or another the discussion is going to involve a very ugly aspect of US history though.
When DS was a baby, getting him clean could be a real struggle sometimes.  I kept a squirt bottle of water by the changing table.  If it's a really bad mess, you can just sit him in the sink and run water over it.   On the rare occasions when something would get into the opening of the foreskin, it would just get rinsed right back out next time he peed.  Never caused any problems.
I think this fits into the "if you have to ask, the answer is..." category.  If something makes you need to ask is this offensive, then you already know it is, but just haven't quite figured out all the details of why yet.     I understand that there probably are a lot of parents out there who sing it with little or no understanding of what exactly it means.  In such situations, it would be pretty harmless.  Once you know what it means though, you can't unlearn it....
If the penis is buried in the fat pad (most common) then the issue should resolve itself as he looses the pudgy baby shape and takes on a more big kid shape.   If he pushes against the fat pad, while he is peeing, he may be able to aim.  As he puts preasure on the right side, it will allow the penis to move right.  Same for to the left, up and down.   I agree, that standing will probably work better in the long run, though it may be temporarily worse.  Put some...