or Connect

Posts by eepster

It doesn't sound like he has a LD to me, it just sounds like an awful set up.  I don't see any mystery here, it seems quite clear what the problems are.   The work itself isn't actually hard or challenging for him, so it doesn't really keep his full attention/concentration.  Do you really focus when playing Candy Land with your kids?  I know I don't.  If he can answer all the questions without thinking, there is a good chance he's not going to be thinking/paying...
DS is going to be K aged next year, and I'm trying to figure out where he will be going.  The local public kindergarten's literature says they use the "Balanced Literacy Curriculum."     Is anybody familiar with it?
  Sewchris has quite a point.  When I was a little girl, I absolutely loved Legos.  My BFF did too.  We would play with them for ages.  I remember I had a really cool space themed set and I had a police station set.  Though the set would get put together the way from the instructions once or twice, we mostly did free play with them.     We did very girly things with our sets.  The oxygen tanks from the space set made great hair styles (much more flattering than the...
I didn't read the whole tread, so I maybe repeating a bit.     We were very much in a similar place ourselves last year.   Early K entrance in public schools is almost impossible to get in many place.  Often there are different regulations for preschool aged students than for K aged students and admitting a younger student will cause all kinds of administration problems.  here there are different teacher student ratios, different vax requirements, different nap...
Do you ever not correct mistakes/misunderstandings your DC make just b/c they are so cute?  Things that you know your really should set right, but you just think are too adorable.   I've been torn between feeling like I need to fix certain things, and just hating the idea of squashing these adorable little moments.   I've been feeling guilty for a while that I just keep letting DS call his Montessori school a "Mozzarella school.  I just couldn't bring myself to...
As others have said, many places have cut off dates well before December, so your DS many not be eligible for K next year.   You school district probably has a website that will give you cut off dates and info about registering.   If your DS is eligible next year, then I would send him.  here's a very informative article on the subject. http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/200309/DelayingKEntry.pdf   You can also search the forum for "redshirt" or "redshirting"...
http://www.mhschool.com/math/mathconnects/index.html
I wouldn't take "Where did you get your.........from?" as a question about race/ethnicity.  I'm just plain old White, but I constantly got "Where did you get the red hair from?" growing up.  I think it's just a standard phrase people pull out when they try to engage kids in conversation, and they just pick the first feature that strikes them.   It is pretty annoying though.  There are plenty of better standards to pull out, like "how old are you?"  At least with how...
Does your city have a recreation department?  They may offer activities.  We do a bunch at our rec center.
I think it is a large number of factors coming together, and not just any one thing.  Many of these have already been listed, but I will compile a list.  It will be loosely in order of importance, since the real order is hard to figure out.   The Dr just assumes it will be done. It is covered by insurance. Polite Americans do not talk about penises.  (I'm not even sure that is the correct plural b/c we do not talk about penises.) Nice mommies do not...