or Connect

Posts by eepster

Dyslexia and simply being a very visual/spacial thinker can look very similar in many way. If this is the only thing she does that makes you think dyslexia, then I would just figure she is a very V/S thinker and not worry. The isolated 7 and 4 confusion doesn't sound much like dyslexia either. Especially considering it started around the onset of puberty and ended around the completion of it, which is odd timing for a life long learning disability. It sounds more...
It sounds kind of like yeast to me. The extra peeing at night might be b/c the general itchyness is triggering the need to pee sensation. I'd start by treating it as yeast and see if it clears up. I was thinking it might be chlorinated pool water from the start of swim season, but then I noticed that your in NZ so it's actually the end of swim season. However, if there has been some kind of new environmental factor introduced that might explain it. Since you're in...
Becoming retractable involves two things; first is the dissolving of the natural adhesions that attach the foreskin to the glans, second is the loosening of the sphincter at the end of the foreskin. These can happen in either order, and any time between infancy and the completion of puberty. These happening at different times is most noticeable when the adhesion dissolve before the sphincter loosens and the foreskin balloons while peeing. The breaking up of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by LittleBattleAxe EEPSTER -- what math program is it that you are unhappy with? It's not a program really, just a random one I picked up at the book store b/c DS kept say "Let's do math" every time I tried to sit down.
Introducing alternative milks so early can lead to early weaning. At 1 yo the only milk a baby needs is human.
From the way you describe his desire to stay, but act funny my guess would be that he does like her in a normal pals way, but is scared that some one will say he likes her in a boy girl way. He is staying b/c he wants to be part of the group that is playing and having fun, but is scared to let go and really just enjoy himself in case she would then be labeled his "girlfriend." He needs to keep up his constant "I don't like her" so no one will think he likes her. Has...
I found WW toast with peanut butter (no jam or honey) with a handful of walnuts was a good breakfast for keeping my blood sugar low when I had GD. Since I was on bedrest we did a lot of take out. I found tofu with ginger and scallion sauce and brown rice worked. Pizza was OK if I skipped the garlic knots and didn't eat the crust. Cheese ravioli and garden salad was OK. Oddly ice cream didn't raise my blood sugar at all. Adding a handful of nuts to most meals helped a...
It seems like it's time for another "What are they doing now?!" thread. I'll start it off... DS is still in a bit of a math phase, we have done multi-digit addition and subtraction with borrowing and carrying, as well as single digit multiplication and division, and he understands basic fractions. The first grade math workbook I got him at the start of this math phase is now looking pretty silly. It was a very expensive book . I'm not quite sure where to go next...
DS enjoys this site very much: http://www.mhschool.com/math/2003/student/ It's got lots of games. Does he have legos? The Montessori method uses a bunch of really fun math games.
Quote: Originally Posted by Girlprof As an academic, I get the pro-all girls school sentiment. Though I just had a student do a paper on this topic and I think the more recent research is mixed on whether there are academic differences or not. I know - I was surprised because I was sure there were, but she found research that there weren't. This may be b/c the culture that tended to favor males for so long has started to wane dramatically. I...