or Connect

Posts by mntnmom

I grew up in the south. In my community we had "church goers" and drug addicts, with seemingly no one in between. A heavy handed fundamentalism was the default, and I'm not sure how I escaped being sucked in. My "born again" brother came to visit and just couldn't comprehend that we didn't want our kids "saved" because we reject the concept of sin or the devil. My point is, these folks aren't trying to be offensive, and generally not hateful. They just have a narrow...
A lot of the older correspondence style schools are intended for missionary kids and expats. They offer differing levels of structure, and diplomas. I can't recommend one, as my oldest is only 8. Google is your friend. 
I agree that Bible stories have literature value, and we're "waldorfy" not devotees. But I don't see why you couldn't replace some of the bible aspects. If you don't want to teach "lives of the saints", for example, find a similar-less religious- collection of biographies. Or trade out greek, chinese, or norse myths for some of the bible stories. My understanding of Steiner, is that the way they learn is more important than the actual material, as long as it's high...
Have to jump in. My 6 yr old was public schooled this year. Can only read a few years and has social anxieties. It sounds like you are doing great. I really doubt it has *anything* to do with school/unschool. It's just your mom making you crazy! I've resolved to be better with my girls!
  I'm sorry, but in my understanding, what your friend was doing was not GD. There *is* discipline, it's just gentle. I am no expert, and still struggle with it myself. GD would be explaining to the child that the menu is set, and maybe giving him a special day where he can have more input. And then letting them finish their tantrum in their room and have a sandwich!!  It sounds to me like you're using GD and not even realizing it. :)  
It is written from a Christo-centric bias. But nothing that's difficult to work with. For instance, they cover ancient Egypt, and Mesopotamia, but make sure you realize that the included stories are myths these people believed. When they present Moses, an informed reader might mistake the story for verified history. But a little bit of clarification fixes the problem. I would recommend starting at the beginning. The first Chap. is a nice intro to the concepts of...
Nothing special. Just be patient, like with ANY child. :) I do second the recommendation that little guys should learn sitting first! Now that my boys (6 and 4) are mostly retractable, DH is trying to get them to pull their foreskin up a little to reduce dripping, but that is a personal habit of his. 
I homeschooled my dd for K and 1st, but she decided to try out PS this year, and will probably go next year. But my 6 yr old son, who loved public K, has asked to homeschool next year. If he stays home, we'll likely keep his 4 yr old brother home.   I need curriculum suggestions. They are bright, creative and very active, but we'll need something structured to keep on track. I would probably aim for DS1's level, and trim it down for DS2 so they can work together. Moving...
For a while, there was a theory that babies nerves weren't developed enough to feel pain the way adults do. We now know that isn't true (somebody knows the studies), but even a lot of doctors have held on to this idea. In reality, I fear it is a matter of convenience. A newborn can't really fight you, but a 4 yr old can, and an adult would punch you. Men especially, seem to use the rational that if they can't remember the pain of having it done as a baby, that must be...
In my experience it peaks at around 3 or 4  After that people feel a little more awkward about commenting, I think. I agree that cultivating not appearance related interests, and teaching her to accept praise graciously is probably the best. My "beautiful" dd is 8. She plays year round sports, and isn't really concerned about her looks!