or Connect

Posts by YiddisheMama

does anyone know any way to prevent them? my mother had them really bad and i know it's hereditary and i'd like to avoid getting it. will vitamin E do anything?
b'h just wanted to point out that i read "how to talk so kids will listen...", and i've read a number of the "love and logic" books. they're very similar in many aspects. the love and logic gives practical step by step ideas and tips as opposed to just more theory in "how to talk...". there are some things in love and logic i don't agree with of course, but the practical ideas were very beneficial. good luck to all!
b'h i think there is nothing wrong with tantrums, and my kids are welcome to throw tantrums whenever they want...but i don't have to hear it. my kids know that they can throw tantrums, scream, yell etc anytime they want, as long as it's in their bedroom or in the patio with the door closed. whenever they're done with their screaming, i'm all ready to see them/hear them/hold them/hug them etc... it's different of course if they hurt themselves and are crying. ...
b'h i thought it was pretty funny. of course i won't tell my daughter that. and when she sees a random squirrel (anywhere, not just here at home) she often says, "maybe that's the squirel that ate my tights."
b'h one more example - this one is real "natural consequences." this happened about a month and a half ago. my kids were playing in the splash pool in the backyard, in their clothing, and eventually decided to take off their shoes and whatever else............ when they came inside later, my 5 year old left her tights outside. i decided not to remind her about it, not to nag...and just see when she'd remember. it never occurred to me that what happened next...
Quote: Originally Posted by KristiMetz Here's a question for you YiddisheMama - so what would you do if your daughter figures out that she enjoys vacuuming and starts spilling things just so she can vacuum them up? This is what my DS currently does. He's younger than your DD is, he's 22 months. I'd use a different tactic, if I have time tomorrow I'll post details. On the way to bed now. My daughter actually does like to vacuum, but she...
b'h thank you natensarah for understanding my post and not taking it out of context. but let me give you another real live example and get an opinion. also when my daughter was four...she emptied a saltshaker onto the carpet. when i came in and saw it, here's how the conversation went. me: uh oh, this is so sad, salt doesn't belong on the carpet. what are you going to do about it? her: well, maybe you can vacuum it? me: i like to vacuum messes i...
Quote: Originally Posted by riotkrrn Withholding food in order to teach a lesson is punishment. Withholding affection in order to teach a lesson is punishment. Forcing a child to promise to "act sweet" in order to get what she wants is degrading. i'm not sure where you get the idea that i withhold food from my children. my kids are very well fed and they eat when they're hungry. this is exactly what i meant when i said we're understanding...
B"H Just for the record, we are a non-vaxing, home-birthing, breast feeding (my 11 month old is still exclusively breastfed), tandem nursing (my 3 year old is still nursing), home schooling, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, organic foods family. my understanding of love and logic must be different from the way others on this forum understand it. i view it as gentle discipline, and therefore am comfortable using it. there's no yelling involved, no degrading, no...
Quote: Originally Posted by UUMom I have a terrible ache in my heart thinking of that scared and upset little 4 yr old trying to wash the wall while the mother looks on knowing she's wasting her time. That's just so sad. Why would anyone do that to a child? just for the record: my 4 year old may have been little, but she was far from scared and upset. she was actually pretty thrilled to be figuring out the solution on her own. and she knew...