or Connect

Posts by sunflowers

Telling your employer that you only have child care available for a certain # of hours/week is reasonable and the truth.   If you think they might permanently change your status to full-time, you might want to consider enrolling the kids into a more formal day care or find an in home provider that can take care of them.  That's if you'd like to continue working full time.
I currently pay @ $580/mo for before and after care for my Kindy kid- 2.5hr kindergarten at public school so about 7 hours of care there every day.  It's $29/day.  Includes breakfast but I provide lunch.  Days school is closed will cost $39/day.   Summer day camp cost $210/wk- about $840/mo.  5 days/wk for 10 hours/day.  No meals provided.  Trips were extra and there was a registration fee of $52.   Previously, from 3yo-5.5yo, she went to public preschool and had...
I have found that my answers to questions about a completely absent parent change as the child grows and matures.  My DS's dad has been completely absent from DS's life since DS was 2.5yo.  DS wouldn't recognize him if he tripped over him- unless he happened to notice the fact that they are carbon copies of each other.   When my son was 4yo, I told him that his dad was sick and couldn't be a father at that time.  Hopefully he would get better so that things might be...
Honestly?  I would call the district your ex lives in and ask them what requirements they have for enrollment.  Run the situation past them and see what they say.
Never been a problem for me and my son is now an adult- 19yo.  I have been a solo parent, enrolled him in school, did all of the doctor's visits, cub scouts, sports and travelled internationally without incident.   Like  pp mentioned, the only time it ever comes up is when one of his friends, teachers, whoever calls me Mrs DS'sLastname.  It's not a problem because I know they are referring to me and I get the heads up that it is regarding DS, lol.
My ex has been arrested several times for non-payment.  He wasn't picked up on the bench warrent for non-payment- it was just the charge they threw at him when stopped for some other offense.   The first few times he got someone to bond him out and that satisfied the purge.  The last time, nobody would post bail so they held him overnight and he plead poverty.  They let him go without any purge amount.  Apparently, you cannot hold someone in jail for non-payment of...
My ex offered about $250 or so les than he would have been ordered to pay.  I agreed since it was more than enough and accepting made the custody situation easier.  He didn't fight the custody agreement I proposed as a direct result.   While I agreed to a lesser amount, I also made sure it included him agreeing to pay half of extra activities (dance, sports, music classes, ect) and the associated gear necessary to participate in those activities (instrument rental,...
I agree with SSM.   Truth is always the best course even if you have to temper the hard truth with some softness for a while.  I cannot understand why any counselor would promote outright lying to the kids.
I agree that K inclusion might be beneficial.   To give a full disclosure, my dd was born at 27w.  We also had alot of early intervention services and a very poor testing ability.  She did 3 years of preK with this last year including K inclusion for at least 3 hours per week (K and perK are only 2.5 hours per day).  The K inclusion was not written into her IEP but they try to do it for all of the eligable 5yo preK's.  I would have requested it if I had thought of...
I don't have time for much between kids and work.  It makes me sad, really.  I was talking to a friend the other day and he said he sees it all too often with single moms.  I guess I had to agree since I don't even have many friends left at this point with no time for "hanging" and all.   I do enjoy my backyard in the spring/summer/fall.  I have spent some time attracting birds and planting flowers and vegetables.  It is a pleasant place to sit and read, surf the web...