or Connect

Posts by xanandali

I would actually skip the instructions about knitting back and forth for those couple rows and make a one-row button hole. It will look cleaner & most people have slight guage differences when working back and forth vs in the round. So all around a button hole would probably be better suited. Go to knitting help.com and there are videos on there, but here's a direct link for a good one to try, its towards the end.
My husband's grandfather asked us that question a couple days ago at dinner. I started to say that we keep busy, etc. but my husband butted in and said "Don't worry, we take him to the bathroom and beat him up for lunch money on a regular basis." Pretty much stunned me coming from my DH LOL
I think thats what it will come down to and given that it would be next year. But it is in fact the local council AND the national office that have said the rule is different for homeschooled kids. What I think REALLY is the thing, and I agree, is that Cub scouts is based on grade and Boy scouts is by age. So if he starts Cub at a younger age, there will be a gap when he isn't able to be in either one. Its very much the same issue we had at VBS this summer, they...
After the local council called to tell me not to bring him to tonights meeting I called the main number for the national organization and was told its strictly because he's homeschooled. If he were in a public school there's no age restrictions other than they must be under 8. Its only when they are homeschooled that there is a minimum according to the headquarters guy responsible for membership...
I'm crying right now so if this is written poorly please excuse me. Just got a call that my brilliant and kind 5 year old first grader won't be allowed to join Cub Scouts of America SOLELY because he's homeschooled. Talked with corp. and local. If he were 5 and in public school he can do it, but since he's homeschooled he must be 7 years old. But they have no written policy for this neither online, in the guidebook, or even written at the office! Online/Application...
Someone stated to a group of ladies yesterday in a very matter-of-fact way as an indirect reference to us- "I send my daughter to school for the socialization" It stunned me so much I didn't even say anything. Yeah, gotta love the type of socialization you learn from other second graders. And uh, whatever happened to sending kids to school for a good education?
I've had both kids in gymnastics classes since they were 15 & 17 months old. DD is now 2 1/2 and moving up levels to the next class w/o me, DS is 5 1/2 and has been in a kids fitness class at the gymnastics place that is not so girly He's not into flips and rolling unless he's play fighting! Its not the cheapest of activities, but he's been in all sorts of stuff and not interested in any type of organized sports (tae kwon do, soccer, t-ball). I've got our family...
My DS sounds to be much like yours. Mine LOVES readingeggs.com I have to say that he's probably learned more with that than anything else he's done. But he's very much a visual & multisensory kid, to make him sit and "read" is not his thing. He also hates to write, but he has sensory integration disorder and I have found that if I rub his back while he's writing he can do it without complaining at all. Anyway, a bit rambling, but hopefully gives you another idea to try!
I'll have to go back and read all these olds posts, but I think I've FINALLY found the right spot for me here too! I have a 5 1/2 DS and 2 1/2 DD. This year DS is doing mostly 1st grade level work, but I suspect we won't be using much of the LifePac curriculum I bought because he apparently hates workbooks LOL I'll save 'em for DD who already loves doing "schoolwork" which to her IS workbooks! We're using a heavily modified workbox system ourselves on a four day...
Ok, I think my son would enjoy doing a computer based reading program since we don't plan on doing a formal reading curriculum (he's 5.) He does enjoy Starfall.com but I'd like to look at other options too because he's been doing that for over a year already so its getting a bit old. Wondering what experience you all have with readingeggs.com and studydog.com or if there are other sites you recommend. TIA!