or Connect

Posts by 3girlmom

I'm hoping someone out there can help - I have a DD who is starting to potty train. Because of an endocrine disorder, she doesn't grow easily or gain weight, and has no body fat at all. At 20 months, she is still wearing 6-12 month clothes. But she has started to show an interest in potty training, and she needs some undies (we've CD'd, and she's still in the covers from when she was first born). Anyone have any ideas about where I can purchase the tiniest pairs of...
Thanks, it was really inexpensive as well!
I can't believe we've been homeschooling since November and I still haven't bought a dictionary. What recommendations do you have for elementary-aged children? Thanks for saving me hours scrolling through reviews on Amazon!
What is the spelling program that you like more?
We are also doing TWTM-lite. I feel like the science is weak, though, for the younger years...it's more the "fill the bucket" rather than "light the fire" approach. I also do different math and latin programs, and we don't keep notebooks. But when I was feeling like, "what am I going to do with my kids?" TWTM saved the day. I think the test of TWTM devotion is, have you mummified a chicken? We have.
I remember a mom whose kids are older than mine telling me to remember this mantra, "Great with kids does not necessarily mean great with adults."
There are a couple of these out there right now...so this morning we're meeting with a psych to discuss ways to understand my LO's behaviors - very angry/upset, not easily soothed (and never has been), not attached to me the way my older kids are....anyway, I won't list everything that's sent us to this woman, but the appointment is 2 hours away and I'm starting to have all those feelings I had when we were getting her other issues (SPD, Turner Syndrome, eating issues)...
Shell, we sound very similar. We are a tv-free household, baking our own bread, no fast food, etc., and it's been very concerning to me to see my children teased for that in Montessori school. In the classroom there isn't much room for it (although they are very lax about enforcing rules regarding character clothing - one 4-year old has a Paris Hilton lunchbox, can you imagine??) but it does come up with things like playdates. You'll be dealing with this kind of thing...
When we were working so very hard to overcome the sensory issues, I did make separate meals for DD. I also fed her before I fed the rest of the family, so that I could concentrate on feeding her and so that it would be quiet and relaxed. Also, she didn't really like being at the dinner table much. When the rest of us ate we'd start her in her chair but allow her into our laps, etc., with little expectation that she'd eat. I find dinner is really hard for her, so I...
Mama41, you had me laughing so loudly I thought I might wake the children. Another problem we've encountered in my LH-addicted household is dealing with the racism - one day I heard DD in the back on my minivan singing the song that goes "He's gone where the good darkies go." So there was a chat. There are books I don't want DD to read yet, even though she's capable of reading them, because I want her first time reading them to be when she is emotionally...