or Connect

Posts by 3girlmom

This thread appears a lot, which I understand, because it's a hard thing to pick the first school experience for your child, and Montessori is a very specific ideology that can seem a little extreme in the beginning. But I just want to say that those of us that send our LOs to a children's house five days a week don't do it because we don't want to spend time with them, or because we don't like having them around. That is not the reason Montessori schools go five days a...
I have a B.A. and M.A. in art history, and am within striking distance of finishing my Ph.D. It's been on the back burner since the arrival of our third child, and I may not finish, as I'm uninspired by the career paths available. I like teaching college students, but I love to be with my children more.
I hs my oldest, who attended a Montessori children's class through kindergarten. Her younger sister goes now, and my youngest will start in the fall. It's five mornings a week. I do it because I believe in the benefits of early Montessori education, and I know that I am not capable of providing that kind of wonderful experience for my preschoolers at my house. Also, it took a ton of the pressure off me as a hser to have my first grader already about to read, write,...
This is not a video, but a very good book. http://www.amazon.com/Picture-Teachi...2609412&sr=1-4 Actually, even though it says "autism" in the title, I think it's helpful for any kid who has a litle difficulty with social norms.
Yikes! We once had a miracle cream prescribed to us for my child's very severe diaper-area rash, and we were on the first leg of a long trip and about to leave civilization behind for three weeks when she started getting the rash again and I realized I didn't have any cream. My doctor tried to call in a prescription but the pharmacy didn't stock it, so I made it myself. It works miracles. Mix mostly diaper creme with a squirt of an OTC anti-yeast med (like Monostat)...
Hey thanks, I'm glad that's useful for her. I hope she enjoys Disney World!
I think cooking with kids is so important. We make simple breads, cookies, soups, salads or some such every day. There are lots of good ideas for cooking with kids out there, and it is a great way to expose them to so many things - touch, smell, fine motor control, different cultures (quesadillas, crepes, matzah) different geographical areas (we actually talk about where the wines come from with our oldest, who is 6), where milk comes from, where oranges grow, how cheese...
We were shown the brushing protocol at our first OT visit. It is called the Wilbarger Deep Pressure and Proprioceptive Technique if you want to google it. There is actually only anecdotal research to suggest that it works, no studies have been done, but every OT I've talked to says it is amazing. We also saw great results with it right away (I think it may depend on the age of your kid how quickly you see results). Basically, the treatment "reprograms" rather than...
Someone just sent me the link to this free game that teaches the multiplcation tables.... http://www.bigbrainz.com/index.php And I also wanted to add that I agree with you that there is a place to say to your child that the time has come to do something, like learn multiplication, now, and that there will be a consequence for not doing so. I support that 110%. The only thing I might add to that would be that you are eager to do whatever you can to help her be able...
I totally understand and empathize with your situation! I have a child who also hasn't yet decided to push herself out of her comfort zone, and it can be very frustrating to watch her settle for less than she's capable of. This may seem incredibly stupid, but has she filled out a multiplication table at home? I construct one for my daughter every week and she fills it out (she attended a Montessori children's house, and now we hs). I think that when kids see a...