or Connect

Posts by Chavelamomela

My ds1 was 40w5d and castor oil worked for us.  (2 doses, 1 tbsp each, 4 hours apart).  The side affects were not pleasant, but my body was ready and started contracting shortly after the 2nd wave of purging subsided. Labor progressed thereafter with no problems.  It was otherwise an non-intervenionist birth. (no IVs, no epidurals, I gave birth on the birthing stool).
OP, this expression has nothing to do with having an interventionist or noninterventionist birth, just that, as others have said, if you try to "assume" that you'll have a relatively quick labor for #3 because #2 was fast, well, it may not be that way.  But you're in the care of a capable midwife, and just because it could happen "differently" that it will happen with interventions.    I wouldn't worry about it.  I think her point was that you shouldn't go into labor...
I have a recipe for Peanut-Butter-Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats that may fulfill your butterfinger craving.   It's super easy and super-yummy:   1 cup sugar 1 cup peanut butter 1 cut corn syrup (or agave nectar)   5 cups rice crispies 1 package of semi sweet chocolate chips   In a pot mix PB, Sugar, and Corn Syrup until it comes to a boil (stir contantly).   Pour rice crispies into a large mixing bowl.  Pour PB mixture over and mix.  Spread onto...
Elisheva - the  other culture I know about that has menstruation-related restrictions is the ancient Zoroastrian one, where they abstained during menses.  Zoroastrian culture has a strong tradition of separating the sacred and profane.  Some Jewish philosophers/historians trace the Jewish hilchot nidda to the rabbinic community that was influenced by zoroastrian traditions.   (There are some articles on this subject that you can find through Rabbi Google ;)
If you're looking for hospital birth, I will also recommend Lucy Milne, who works in a practice with OB's (White Plans OBGYN) and delivers in White Plains Hospital Center. (she delivered my first)   I also had a fabulous homebirth for #2 with Ann Margolis. I cannot recommend her highly enough!
I can tell you that there is a strong history in the Jewish tradition of Jewish people who have risked their lives to circumcise their baby boys even when it was against the law.  This is also representative of times when there was tremendous religious persecution against the Jewish faith, and Jewish people in general risked their lives to perform the commandments and transmit their traditions to the next generations.   Examples of specific time periods - during the...
My pediatrician is not "supportive" per se of delayed vax, but she is tolerant of my difference of opinion, and she respects my intelligence.   I chose her because she came highly recommended as pro-BFing and doesn't push antibiotics too much.  I stick with her and recommend her to others because she is respectful of me as a parent, knows that I am the primary decision maker, and can discuss issues intelligently and respectfully.   She is a partner in that care, but...
What do you think of this?   Similac has introduced a new product called 'Similac Mom' http://similac.ca/en/products/similac_mom/   I have many thoughts on this:   1) My first knee-jerk reaction was that "wow, the formula companies will do anything to make money" 2)If they market this to BFing moms, maybe they won't sabatoge so many BFing relationships! 3) The product, although it's first ingredients are water & sugar, is no different than Ensure or...
Another Jewish mama here.  Just wanted to reply that Merpk's explanation is a good one, and I also echo her feelings/PSA, as my feelings are similar!  Us Jewish mamas probably won't be able to contribute the to rest of the thread, unless you have a specific question about Jewish laws, customs, or belief.   ...bowing out....
(The quoting function is messing up and I can't seem to put my words as comments after the quote...)   Actually, it's not a strictly "fundamentalist" or "chasidic" view.  It's actually quite common view among Jewish communities across the world (not just Orthodox).  But that idea of a non-jew not keeping the "jewish shabbat" is not related to Christians keeping Saturday as a day of rest. Its strictly related to a Jewish Halachic Shabbat (which is not the same thing)....