or Connect

Posts by Conteuse

The storage area in the other side of our 700-sq-ft apartment was apparently harboring fleas. We didn't see any in our place, but our landlord found them in the storage area and decided to bug-bomb both the storage area and our apartment.   There was no talking him out of it, and there was very little notice given. We had to leave for 48 hours, and when we came back I couldn't smell any chemicals but my throat got sore. It's been almost a week now, and my throat is...
We have never homeschooled before, but in the advent of our big cross-country adventure coming up, we would prefer not to set a time limit on it, such as being back in time for school to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for either online or easily portable (and affordable) curricula that would be good for short-term roadschooling? By short term, I'm talking about 4-8 weeks, but if we like it, we could end up going a lot longer. We're Christians, but do not by...
Count me in, on this thread! My reasoning for wanting to go minimalist is simple: my house is always, always messy. Two people with ADD probably shouldn't marry each other, but we did. Consequently, neither of us has the time, inclination, or attention span to keep things picked up. There are also other medical issues involved, but the short story is that if we didn't HAVE much, then what we did have wouldn't resemble clutter quite so closely! I remember the...
I'm not there yet, but I will be in another four or five months! We're moving from New Hampshire in the Fall. What makes you say it isn't a very "crunchy" place? Is there gratuitous use of plastic and styrofoam? A scarcity of natural food shops? Is it people's attitudes toward environmental concerns? Should I be afraid? I'm on the Reno Natural Mothers group, and they are very friendly. More into the early-childhood issues -- doulas, breastfeeding, cloth...
Ooo, goody, the perfect thread! We both work for the US Census, which is a temporary job. When it ends, in August (for me) and September (for him), we are planning to move across the country -- and in the USA, that's a BIG country! We're moving from New Hampshire to Nevada, ideally with only what we can fit into our Chevy Blazer. So this is going to be a move into minimalism. I am so excited! For our books: Much as I love most of our remaining books, I am wondering...
Quote: Originally Posted by curiouscanadian This is a great idea, thanks, I'll have to try it! Any great ideas for dealing with a dresser drawer-full of worn-out T-shirts? I recently saw something on instructables.com that I liked: Cut off the sleeves, cut out the neckline, and sew the bottoms of the shirts closed. Voila! Instant shopping bag! The shoulders of the T-shirt become the handles of the bag. I want to do this with some t-shirts...
I did a search on here before I posted, but perhaps those threads got aged out of existence? I couldn't find anything on it. I searched for hammocks and sleeping hammocks and hammock sleep, but nothing came up. I did find some good information about all this on the hammockforums.com if anyone else is interested. Wish I'd found them before I posted here! But hey, maybe my thread can help out someone else. Apparently, the consensus of those who sleep in hammocks full...
No, not the bedroom activities -- just the bedroom. Here's what I've been thinking. DH and I are thinking of moving, with our 9yo son, into a very small place when we move state next year. Maybe a yurt or a "tinyhouse" until we can afford to get somewhere bigger. I got a good possibility of picking up a 20' yurt in good condition for under $1000 so I'm seriously thinking about it. Now, as the Japanese can tell you, you get more living space if the sleeping materials...
Well, out of my list, I accomplished a surprising amount. It helped that my cousin, the professional house-cleaner, came over for a couple of hours. Hired help can sometimes be a very good thing! 1) Clear kitchen table and counters <--Table is cleared, counters are wiped but still have a few things on them. I ran out of time. It will be done tomorrow, though! 2) Wash kitchen floor <--I don't think this got done, but happily, there was so much utter junk on the floor...
Anyone mind if I jump on the bandwagon? I've been working FT for the past three months, and have let the house get completely out of control once again. Today is my last day before my temporary layoff, and I'd like to get the following done before I go into work at noon EST: 1) Clear kitchen table and counters 2) Wash kitchen floor 3) Clear clutter in living room 4) Vacuum and dust living room 5) Start a load of laundry 6) Clean bathroom I've already gotten a...