or Connect

Posts by kofduke

Punkzilla, Rapp     I appreciate a good, gritty novel.  And this one spoke many truths with great honesty.  However, I felt that some of it went too far -- meant only to shock rather than to advance the character.  Still, I'm glad I read it.     Night Strangers, Bohjalian     I liked this one a lot...and the ending, while shocking, is appropriate considering the tone of the book.
Black Magic Sanction, Harrison fast-paced 8th installment in the Rachel Morgan series. Kingdom Keepers 5: Shell Game I was disappointed in book 4.  But my son has recently gotten into the series, so I figured I needed to stay ahead of him.  This book is back to the quality of the earler installments in the series, and the characters, as young high schoolers, are becoming more developed and independent. The Illumination, Brockmeier The ideas in this book are fascinating and...
Land of Decoration, McCleen     I really enjoyed this, and it's a concept I think about a lot -- if miracles are still really happening, if people are still talking to god, how can we distinguish that from insanity?  Recommended.   White Witch, Black Curse     I've been enjoying this series overall.   This one started slow but really picked up.  There were some characters that I had to look up as I wasn't sure where I had encountered them before, and it turned out they...
The Dog Stars, Peter Heller         I'm having a hard time rating the book.  At the beginning, the writing style and the explicit descriptions of the violence in their survival really had me a bit turned off.  But as I got more deeply into the book, I came to really see Hig's humanity; how even in the most trying of circumstances he still had love and compassion.  And then the building of the new relationship was amazing.
The Vanishers, Julavits     Just okay -- there was a lot going on in a slim volume.  More about the relationship between women than the psychic energy.     The Light Between Oceans, Stedman   Amazing and gorgeous...each of the characters is so fully developed and wonderfully read..the story is tragic yet moving.    Devil in Silver, Lavalle     State of Wonder, Patchett     The Watchers, Steele   I wanted to like this more than I did.  The concept is great -- however the...
  I really enjoyed this book.  Winner of the Printz award in 2009, it details the life of Karl Shoemaker, known as "psycho shoemaker" to his classmates.  Karl's goal for his senior year of high school is to work at his 4 jobs, see his friends, but primarily to stay out of the therapy groups his school has had him attend since the fourth grade.  Known as the Madman Underground, these group of children share a depressing home life, but a warm concern for each...
The Last Dragonslayer, Fforde   Another fabulously funny story by Jasper Fforde...written for a younger audience than the tuesday next series.     Orientation and Other Stories, Orozco  
True Believer, Wolff     This Full House, Wolff       These books are really, truly beautiful.  They speak to me so much of the young women I work with, the challenges they face, and the support they need to achieve those dreams.  I would like to speak with whoever chose a cover photo featuring a young blond woman in a fancy, clean, light-infused school, however...   Before I go to sleep, Watson   Suspenseful, kept my interest throughout!
Cypress House, Kortya I really liked this spooky historical tale.  Interesting as there were paranormal elements, however the threat never came from them...the threats were all human.     A Murderous Procession, Franklin   Really enjoyed this one...the continuing development of the relationship between Adelia and Rowley, the twist with the Cathars, the relationship between Adelia and the church.  It would have set up such an interesting conclusion as they had returned to...
Bird Cloud, Proulx     I thought this was okay...some of it was a lot of complaining about things most people would love to complain about.  I also think it must be difficult to have a house listed on the market for 2.6 mil when you've written a whole book about its problems...   http://fayranches.com/ranches-for-sale/wyoming/bird-cloud-ranch   the library, kitchen, and soak tub do look utterly amazing...   Running the Rift, Benaron   Amazing book about a tutsi runner...