or Connect

Posts by Qtopia

Quote: Originally Posted by amcal Well, some people don't open presents and honestly, when you have a large party, it's absolute chaos. Last year, we had 18 children and it took so long to get through all the presents, the other children were bored and it wasn't a fun process for them - well, watching their present get opened was fun but other than that, they were bored, distracted and it just wasn't fun. So this year we decided to open them...
voted!
My little one (9 mos) is lucky to get a bath every WEEK; 2 weeks is the norm around here. She loves the bath, though. In an ideal world I certainly wouldn't mind giving her a bath more often, but after a long busy day and cooking dinner and wrangling my 5 yr old into pjs/toothbrushing/stories/bed, I just don't CARE if my baby gets a bath, lol. I'm not terribly worried about her bedtime routine at the moment, TBH. I'm more focused on my 5 yr old's routine. I do...
Your link didn't work for me, but I poked around the CSPI site and I see that they are 'concerned' with the environmental aspects of harvesting palm oil and that "palm oil promotes heart disease" (their words). They hate coconut oil, too. CSPI has been a looooooooooooongtime hater of saturated fats. They're partially responsible for the obsession with low-fat diets this country has had for the past couple decades- despite the fact that No one's ever proved that...
Quote: Originally Posted by jaidymama qtopia... thank you! I appreciate another mom's point of view/experience. I have read/heard that this is something they need to work through... although I wonder how they are actually working through it... when it appears to be continual or default. In a multiple sibling scenario or child care setting, I'm wondering how to work with this when the older one is trying to set the agenda for the other ones. It...
hmmm.... I have a 5 yo DS and his interest in war/kill play has *skyrocketed* recently. He has never played a video game of any sort, and although we are 99.99% tv free now, when he did watch TV it was very limited, zero violence shows/videos (we're talking Kipper, Little Bear, Blues Clues and the like). Our 1-2 hours of tv a week consist of a family movie once a week- again, zero violence. We don't have toy guns in our home, and I think the closest thing to a toy gun...
It's a sticky issue, isn't it? For the record- I don't think this is an etiquette issue. It is perfectly appropriate etiquette to not invite everyone and their brother to a party- regardless of whether it's a wedding or a 5 year old's birthday party. Likewise, it is perfectly appropriate etiquette to graciously decline an invitation. My son did a year of preschool, and that was the 'trend' there, too- i.e., invite everyone, and accept every invitation. On the one...
What kind of spoon do they (baby) use? Just to be clear- I am not talking about a spoon used to spoon-feed. I am talking about a spoon you give to your baby to use on their own to scoop food, or a spoon you "load" and then put in your baby's hand for them to put in their mouth. I have a bunch of assorted spoons left over from when DS was a babe and they are either typical "spoon-feeding" spoons, i.e. long skinny handle and tiny oval part at the end (LOL, what do you...
1/1: Paid rent (budgeted) 1/2: $25 co-pay for OT for DS (budgeted) 1/3: $8 eggs/bread/milk run (technically budgeted but I HATE unscheduled trips to the grocery because I usually buy extra, so I got DH to go instead ) 1/3: $24 for 1.5 years worth of laundry detergent 1/4: nothing spent! 1/5: $41.00 groceries; $17.00 haircut for DS (both budgeted). 1/6: $10 for church collection; $98 stock-the-pantry trip to Costco (both budgeted). 1/7: no driving! nothing spent!
I give my baby oatmeal. I also feed myself, DH, and 5 y.o. DS oatmeal. Hey, I'm totally in favor of baby-led feeding and practice it with my baby, but uh, big people eat mushy pureed stuff, too. Oatmeal, mashed potatoes, creamy soup. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeding a baby oatmeal. Cave mamas also weren't feeding their babies cheerios, so I figure if it's ok to do that, what's the big deal with oatmeal?