or Connect

Posts by jtbuko

Finding the right childcare has been an ongoing journey for us. We always try to value & appreciate the right situations when we find them, and to look for another when the fit doesn't feel right. Having a dcp that I trust and respect allows me to focus on work when I am there, and to feel comfortable with my decision/ need to work outside the home. Here are the questions I ask - they are geared towards in-home providers and home daycares, but could be translated to a...
This wouldn't be a solution for nighttime, but for naptime are you open to using the car or the stroller? My ds was never a great napper, but when really tired has always fallen asleep in the car or stroller. Last winter when dd was an infant we organized most of our days so that we'd be on our way to/from somewhere sometime in the afternoon before ds got too cranky... I'd make sure to have a magazine and something to drink and we'd sit in some parking lot or other in the...
My mission right now is to find the green grass. I worked part time after ds and always felt I was right where I should be, then after dd was born we moved across the country and I was a SAHM for a while, but unhappy & isolated far from friends, family, carreer, hobbies... everything I used to define myself by. Now I am back to working part-time, but in a different field and I suddenly really want to be a SAHM... but given other decisions we have made it is not in the...
I make lunch for day laborers every other week. I can do the sandwiches at home and then the kids come with me to drop them off. Its s good fit for a mom. Other little things: MOMS club co-op chair Town Dog use advisory committee member (working towards dog park), Usually no kids, but I did take dd to a meeting once... tangentally involved with HOA trying in increase sense of community in our transitional neighborhood ( Lods mostly stay with dh I have brought dd as a...
It sucks that your dcp seems to be responding with concern for her situation rather than your daughters. That said... Kids are pretty adaptable and can learn that things are done one way at home and another at daycare (Ex. boob vs bottle). I think it can be trickier for us grown ups. I have found that I have been able to leave my kids with folks who have slightly different styles than me as long as we understand and trust each other. That said, I am happiest as a working...
I used to be on a list/ forum for nonprofits that dealt with HR, but can't remember the name. I looked online trying to find it, but found lots of others... good luck. J
At first I never thought staying at home was an option for me... I fell into it for a while after moving for dh's job right after #2 was born, but was miserable. Here's why: * in that circumstance it happened as a consequence of moving so it didn't feel like I had chosen to be at home. * the financial stress sucked: we live pretty simply, but the process of depleting our savings and the prospect of debt made us cranky, car repairs or plane tickets stressed our budget,...
Welcome to the world of navigating childcare! I have found that in order to feel good about my choice to work outside the home part-time I need to feel confident in my kids' childcare situation. If you don't feel good about where ds is at I'd recommend that you to start trying to hash it out with the provider, start looking for a situation that is a better fit for your family, or change your own expectations. As far as interviewing new childcare providers, I recommend...
I was SO CRANKY in the weeks before I went back to work after my second. My dd never took a bottle. I had the luxury of staying home until she was 9 months old, since I was in between jobs due to a xcountry move for dh's job. I was visiting family for 3 weeks before I started work, and made a point to leave her every day for at least a few hours, also started leaving the kids with childcare provider for short chunks the week before. Also for a few months before I started...
Thai yellow curry - nuke baby carrots and potato chunks. Add pack of tofu (or leftover rottiserie chicken) cut into chunks and serve over rice (made in rice cooker). Trader Joe's makes a great yellow curry sauce. Lasanga - make a big batch (ahead of time) with the no boil noodles and eat for two days. Crock pot - recipes for whole chicken Crock pot chili - saute beef and onions. put in crock pot with canned tomatoes and beans and chili powder. h Spaghetti (w/...