or Connect

Posts by goldfishkate

Some managers won't hire you if they think you're competition. Down play your credentials. Use a cover letter to explain any gaps in employment without getting to detailed and tell them why you want the job. Basically, they want to know you weren't in prison and that you're not going to leave in 10 minutes for a better opportunity. I highly doubt you're getting electronically screened out (unless you're receiving the email within minutes of submission). Most small...
Check out www.kidsbowlfree.com to sign up for free bowling this summer. One of my favorite summer activities is breakfast at the park. My mom did this with me as a kid and I have continued the tradition with my own kids. You beat the heat and the park is empty.
So much exciting stuff! Twins, interviews, private school, paying off bills. Congrats everyone! I don't post all that often. This month hasn't been the greatest. We some how managed to blow through our EF. Ugh. The good news is that I just paid our very last daycare expense! Yay! That will free up 25% of my income. Even though its been a rough month, I think we're finally on the other side of our financial woes. Child care is a huge drag. This year we paid $2k towards...
I'd say your in the ball park cost wise from my experience. Have you talked to an oral surgeon and gotten a quote? Most offer a cash discount or an uninsured discount.  My oral surgeon also offers interest free payment plans.     Does you new workplace offer a flex plan? If so, could your dh wait 90 days then use the tax free FSA funds to pay the bill. You would then just pay the election amount back over the number of pay periods left in the year. If you waited to...
My ds is seven and he has always been my kid that wants everything but I'm not buying. He recently figured out our neighbor will pay him to shovel the snow off his walk and that quickly led to a few more homes. Depending on the age of your kids, they could start earning their own spending money by helping friends, family and neighbors or even selling their out grown and unwanted stuff.  Or if you budget allows, you could start offering a small allowance. It's amazing how...
  My dh and I never had debt before having kids and last year our childcare expenses were $100 less then our mortgage. Yikes!  Credit cards became a short term solution to a big money flow problem. We've always been able to pay our monthly bills and min payments on our CC but now we can actually get ahead. I see this as our opportunity before another big bill comes our way.
  Do you have a source for this? All the information I've found says the Child Tax Credit was extended for 2013 and beyond.
I don't post very often but I'm so excited. We finally made it to BS2 and I just paid off my first credit card! The last 2 years have been really hard for us because my dh's hours cut at work for a significant portion of 2012 and child care costs were killing us. Now my dh is working lots of OT and it looks like it will continue for the forseeable future. Plus, we only have 2 more months of child care expenses! Yipee!  We're using 2K of our tax refund to pay down another...
You can also do homemade playdough, half and half cornstarch and water, or half and half liquid fabric starch and elmers school glue for ooey gooey play. Water colors are good because it doesn't get all over your house like tempra paint.   My dd birthday is coming up and I sewed little purses and tote bags. The kids will decorate with puffy paint and glitter. The cost in materials is about $3 per child (10 kids). Last year I bought a bunch of solid color easter...
Frugal Tip: Keep your home clean and organized! I know this sounds silly but it's so easy to run to the store and buy more stuff if you don't know where it is or have to replace stuff because its dirty or broken. Plus when you organize, you often rediscover things you forgot you had.