or Connect

Posts by Wabi Sabi

Dd is almost 12 months old and not really interested in nursing very much anymore. She is a big eater and would rather eat food, not nurse or drink any liquid in a cup/sippy either. Unlike my older ds, she's never been one to nurse for comfort, has never nursed to sleep, has always been a rather infrequent nurser, etc- basically, she just has just never been that "into" BFing. I think her general lack of interest is what has led to a low-supply issue since she's been born...
Both of our kids have co-slept from day one and it's worked out well for our family. I have worked nights since since our youngest was a couple months old, so really it's just been dh and the kids co-sleeping- I'm kind of taken out of the equation 5 nights a week, LOL. For various reasons we've decided to move the kids to their own room now. Our 4 year old will NOT sleep alone, but if he sleeps with the baby (11 months) then they'll both snuggle and happily sleep all...
Dd loves garlic and onions. And beans. She could pretty much live on those three items. Lately her diapers have been reeking of garlic. Not a pleasant garlic aroma that makes you crave Italian food- this is a rotten, putrid, already been digested garlic smell that pretty much knocks your socks off. It's killer. Just one garlic diaper in the pail can make the entire first floor of our house reek. The smell just won't wash out either. It's really, really horrendous. I've...
I babysat a a little boy for almost 4 years- from the time he was a toddler until he started kindergarten. I haven't seen them much since he started school two years ago, but I've thought of them several times recently because they've been trying to adopt a baby girl from China and I was wondering if they had her yet or were still waiting until they could travel to get her. I tried contacting them but lost their number and it is unlisted in the book. I'd thought about...
My ds's school is fairly strict about the age cut-offs. Besides that, there's usually a pretty long waiting list and often they don't have space for everyone who wants to attend anyhow. Ds's birthday is in the beginning of October, so he turned 4 y/o right after school began this year. I think he's the oldest kid in the youngest group this year. But really, I think that's a good thing. He loves school and is having a blast, but there's no way he would've been ready for...
BABS is a great resource for these kind of things: www.bloomingtonbirth.org
I cover up on occasion when it's for *my* comfort- such as when with my MIL at her 50 year class reunion. Or the couple of times my dh has brought dd to work so I could nurse her there. I never really cover her head though, I just use a blanket or my sling to cover up my side, belly and any other exposed skin that I may have.,
I'm posting this for my sister who is pregnant. She's lives downtown Indianapolis, is unexpectedly pregnant, does not have an OB and is pretty much starting from scratch. Are there certain hospitals with a better reputation than others? I seem to recall hearing good things about both Methodist and Community North- does that sound about right? She still doesn't know what she wants as far as a birth goes, but would ideally like to find an open-minded doctor who is...
I did a couple of small square foot garden beds with pretty good results considering that we got a very late start and that they were semi-neglected all summer long. For next summer I have a couple of options: I can join a CSA or I can use the equivalent amount of money to built several more large raised beds to grow my own. The start-up costs of building the beds and filling them with the appropriate soil/compost mixture is expensive, but it's more or less a one time...
I have a pregnant sister- she is very young and scared. I'd like to get a few books to help answer some of her questions and to help provide some reassurance. I know that she's has full intentions of BFing, most likely an aiming for an unmedicated birth and other AP/NFL things. Any good resource/reference type books you can recommend other than Dr. Sears (which, FWIW, I already have and plan on giving to her)? I think that most of the Ina May Gaskins stuff that I read...