or Connect

Posts by anubis

Quote: Originally Posted by nora--not a llama Don't know if this qualifies as a joke or not, but I sure thought it was freaking hilarious!! Enjoy. ------------------------------------------------------------------------- The phone rang as I was setting down to my anticipated evening meal, and as I answered it I was greeted with, "Is this Wilhiam Wagenhoss?" This didn't sound anything like my name, so I asked, "Who is calling?" The telemarketer...
Quote: Originally Posted by hattifattener I really like I lot of the stuff I see on MDC about logical consequences- don't have it all down yet, but I'm learning. I know we're talking about adults here, and not children, but I still think it's best to use logical approaches with any age group. Circing and clothing are just NOT related enough to be a logical or natural consequence. (And maybe the OP didn't intend for her decision to be a "consequence", but...
I'm Finnish but sadly I don't know English knitting terminology. If no one else can help, I can always try my best to figure it out. It'll have to wait until tomorrow, though, unfortunately I don't have the time today. ETA: There's a dictionary type thing here, I don't know if it's enough on its own. If it isn't, I can at least use it to help with the terminology if you need me to translate the thing.
Where I'm originally from we don't do Mr/Miss/Mrs even between adults, so it would just seem silly to teach one's kids to use them. Teachers were either "teach" or just first name, parents of other kids were first name or _____'s mum, other adults usually first name. Call someone Mr. lastname and they'll think you're making fun of them. Aside from parents and grandparents, relatives are also generally just called by their first names (as in, no aunt this or uncle that,...
What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? II I love these threads so very much. I don't have any kids yet, but I think I have comebacks to just about anything people will throw my way once the time comes.
I managed to misread the title of the thread as "bloody colons". I thought wow, you sure aren't kidding about them crazy American cookbooks. On a more or less related note, many chip shops here have stopped using newspaper because of health and safety concerns. Then again, we also had a guy come in and make a hole in the floor "in case there's a fire" ( and there was the school that banned pencil cases because they might conceal sharp objects. Health and safety, baby....
I'm the least sociable person ever and I'm just happy to have met someone equally unsociable to be with. We need a lot of time to ourselves and we're both bad at even keeping in touch with friends and family. People are stressful and I'd rather keep out of their way as much as possible, really. I don't suppose many people would want to be in a relationship with two hermits. Never say never, though. I've found myself in many unlikely situations before.
Right, here's my thoughts on the matters brought up in this thread: 1. I knew well before age 13 not to take other people's stuff, be it food or otherwise. I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation. 2. Sometimes people snap at others. It's not the end of the world. It's simply human. I doubt the girl is going to be any worse for wear because of that. 3. I don't even have kids yet, and I can't stand people inviting themselves for dinner. I need some warning,...
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the disembodied body parts freak me out for some reason. *shudder*
At this moment, when my children are still no more than a glimmer in mine and DP's eyes, I can't imagine that not having grandchildren would be the end of the world. I know many people who are quite happily childfree at an older age, and I'd much rather have my child be happily childfree than unhappily parenting. I can't get behind the view that not wanting children means you're materialistic or don't care about family. One of the childfree people in my life has devoted...